New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes folks its that time again. In less than 100 days we will once again take to the field in pursuit of the elusive white tailed deer. Its time to check your gear:

Check you hunting clothes-if they need replacing-do it now.

Check your bow & all the bells and whistles you have on it. Make sure your rest is working, the sight is clear, pins intact, and level working. Are those batteries dead in the pin illuminator? Is the alignment tube for your peep sight still good? is the peep sight and front sight still alligned?

Check your arrows. 2 dozen total 12 for practice, 12 for hunting-matched to weight and type. Got em?

Are you switching to the Cross bow this season? if so make your purchase now.

Feeders/trail cams-working? locks oiled for easy use for theft detention-keys properly marked so you know which one is which? trail cams should be in the woods soon!

Stands: check your straps and replace those that show even the slightest wear. Make sure your cammo paint job is still good.

Its also time to start that exercise program, and practice your shots. I do 30 shots a day, and carry a 50lb bag of corn in a back pack for 2 miles every other a day.

The clock is ticking!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Could not agree more.

I'm getting my bow tuned today and picking up new arrows. On vaction next week and when I get back preseason starts!

·
Registered
14,787 Posts
I am already to go[up][up]

Shoot Straight!

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
im all ready as well..as soon as my trail cam comes back from moultrie that is..

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
On July 1st I usually start my first round of bow practice. When my guns go away in February, I check my bow out then and apply some wax. Usually all is a go.

Good advice MTH! One thing I will make sure I do this summer is on my way out to Hershey Park to stop by Cabelas to pick up all my ammo and muzzy equipment as shipping powder comes with an additional cost. I have my shopping list all ready to go.

One thing to add to your list and a very big part of your over all equipment. Hunters...get out an exercise this summer and get into shape if you need to!

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
ALSO--

Check the dates on the AA, AAA, or 123 batteries in your favorite flashlight. And your GPS. And your FRS radio. And be sure your cell phone is charged.

Clean out the bladder in your hydration backpack.

Buy refills for your Thermacell.

Check and wash your clothes. Re-Treat with permanone spray or soak. Reseal in scent-proof containers.

How old is that bow string? Time to take it off, consider it "shot in" and get new ones put on?

Start trimming shooting lanes NOW so it isn't as obvious.....to the deer or to other hunters.

Oil change and tune-up NOW. My battery (factory) is 42 mos. old. It's being replaced by a DieHard 60 before Labor day.

START WORKING OUT.

I sit a desk all day. I need to start taking LONG walks, eating and drinking less, etc. to start shaping up for easy stand hanging, scouting, and trail marking.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Just need to dial in the bow a little bit more and im all set for the field [up]

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Wasn't it the best time to check your gear before you out it away so you didn't have to do it now just go to it?

As far as doing your homework in the woods that may have been done when the leaves were off the trees when you could have seen what happened the seasons prior. They change a little but a deer is a creature of the edge and won't be found that mush past it.

Its fishing and shooting season now when is there time to spend on equipment.

Some of you put way to much into it maybe it's not science its just going out and getting an animal to eat.[hihi][hihi]

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
I sit a desk all day. I need to start taking LONG walks, eating and drinking less, etc. to start shaping up for easy stand hanging, scouting, and trail marking.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts