New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you spackle a tile ceiling I do not want to replace it but thought maybe a skim coat of spackle would be okay then paint it.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Put the sheet rock right over the tile??? Looks like a plaster ceiling but it's in rough shape.

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Let me take a stupid quess.It's underneath an upstaire's bathroom.

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
yeah accustics whats the issue in now looks good to me.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah accustics whats the issue in now looks good to me.
No issue the wife doesn't like it and that's gonna be the babies room due in March and my wife wants pink ceiling with grey walls. I just wanted to see if spackle would be okay and then paint it or just paint it?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Can you spackle a tile ceiling I do not want to replace it but thought maybe a skim coat of spackle would be okay then paint it.

Congrats on the baby.

I think it may be a system style ceiling. It is probably half inch thick material that was fastened to the ceiling. If not it does not matter. I would not spackle the ceiling. I just did this job actually last weekend. You can either remove the current ceiling and install new or put a layer of rock over the current ceiling. If you are not experienced with sheetrock and geometry, in particular ceiling this may not be a job you want to take on. If you are then go for it. I am not doubting you can not complete this but there is more to it then just slap up some rock, especially with this particular ceiling that is going to be above your child. If you are going to take it on here are a few things i recommend.

1. You have to remove all the bed moulding around the top of the wall.
2. Hopefully there will be a minor gap between the wall and ceiling. This will make finding the end of each joist much easier. Mark the center of each joist on both walls for later reference. They SHOULD BE 16" on center.
3. If there is no gap you are going to have to cut a small hold to expose your first joist. The measure over a few spots cut a hole their to verify the joist are 16" on center.
4. Now that you have all your joist marked on each end determine how much material is on the ceiling. This will tell you how long of screws you will need to fasten your new material AND existing material to the joist. DO NOT FASTEN THE NEW MATERIAL TO ONLY THE CURRENT MATERIAL. All that will do is increase the weight of the current ceiling and make it more likely to fall down onto your child.

Once you have done all this rock away! Make sure your edges land on center of the joist and then tape away. Install small bed moulding or any other trim to prevent you having to spackle the inside corners. If you do not have the proper tools i would shy away from crown.

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
Sounds like it is covering up an old plaster ceiling. Therefore you are not going to locate any ceiling joists easily. It probably has furring strips over the plaster, which the tiles are stapled to.
If it were my house, I'd take the tile down, locate the ceiling joist with a stud finder AND a nail (for true center) and rock over it, useing long enough screws , with moulding around the edge, due to the paneling. If it is a rental, I'd just paint the tiles

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
We have this stuff in the basement, if you rock over it, make sure your screwes are long enough to seat well in the joist. I would take the old one down, you are losing height in the room

·
Banned
3,127 Posts
If your gonna take those tiles down you might as well take the plaster down while your at it. Then you can rock the cieling the proper way.......5/8 glued and screwed!

Putting sheetrock over the existing is a disaster waiting to happen and taping and spackle all those joints would be ridiculous. GL

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
It will crack on all the seams in a short time. Tear it down or just paint over it.

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
The advice from MXRIDER18 is good follow it and you will be good to go it is not that hard a job to tear down and replace.

·
Registered
550 Posts
[kiss]Tell your Wife to stop looking at the home shows on TV like mine does .I just tell her I will do it and go out and buy some beer after I drink the beer she forgot all about it.[drinking][drinking][drinking]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts