New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happily followed my Yellow Lab through Flatbrook on Saturday afternoon after the maniacs left. Upon return home I checked my boy and found one tick. Later, I found 2 on myself. By Tuesday morning, (3days later) we found 3 more on my guy! 30 years in Flatbook and Hainesville, I never had a one on me.

Looking for help on tic prevention. Is it solely because of the high temps? He is current with his Advantix, but is there something else or addition I should consider? My boy spent a lot of time in the river, and I thought that would have been a good rinse, but, apparently not.

Family wants him to stay home and not hunt, after waiting 26 years for him, that's not an acceptable option for me. Love upland and want to learn waterfowling with him since he loves the water and I live behind Sawmill WMA.

Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
I wouldn't put a dog in the sawmill. I use bio spot on my dogs. It works great for me but my dogs stay in a kennel. You have to watch any treatment with on their fur if they are house dogs.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I used to brush my Lab vigoriusly after a hunt. That seemed to work. If you get one of those dog brushes that attach to a vacuum that is even better.. I couldn't do that because my dog was afraid of the vacuum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts