New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might venture out this afternoon. Depends on the windand if I can get of work early.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
I'm going to give the NJ deer a break untill nov 5th. But the Illinois deer better look out!!

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Going out this afternoon...Just couldn't seem do get up this morning. Going to do some scouting midday.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Seen some descent bucks for next year, when I was making my rounds. One was preety swollen around the neck and walking stiff. So it is starting to get close. But I am going out tonight.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I hunted from 6:30am until 1:30 pm today and had a bunch of does come thru and the 4pt along with a 6 pt that I never saw before. was a good day for hunting and I enjoyed it.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Can't wait to see what the guys who went out this afternoon saw...the deer shoud be movin.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not even gonna post my story, lets just say I am in early for a reason, and I am SICK about it!!! [sad][mad] [down]

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here you all go....So I get out of work at 2:30. I head out to my spot in Randolph, but along the way I decide I dont want to hunt there I will hunt this other property I left alon all season...Shawn and Matty know which one I am talking about. Anyway, So I get there, and start heading into the woods. I find a really nice rub and a few scrapes, and also kick up about 5 or more doe. I find My tree I wanna go in, climb up and get situated. Just As I sit down, here come this monster, AND NO EXAGERATION!!!! I mean MONSTER, Way over 150 class, Comes withing 30 yards, stops makes a scrape, and comes closer. By now I am craping my pants. He's about 20 yards away and coming into a clearing. I draw back and let one go...........RIGHT OVER HIS BACK!!!!!! Enough said!! I am so sick that I don't even wanna talk to anyone about this [sad] I have never missed so much in my entire life, like I have this year. I Just don't know what I did wrong all year to deserve this. I pratice My butt off, and What patiently for these kind of opportunities to come and when they do I CHOKE!!! I know it happens to everyone, but I pride myself in being a REALLY REALLY great shooter!!!! It may sound coinceded, but guess what, I AM WAY TO GOOD TO MISS!!!!

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I know this is no concelation but a clean miss is better than a bad hit any day. Keep after him and you may end up filling your tag with him as the rut is just starting. You got the miss out of the way next time pick a single hair on his pumphouse and drill him.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Hey Ian, worse luck here.

[down]:eek::(:(:(:(

Kris told me about a good spot in Berkshire Valley that he had hiked through a week ago. He told me to stop by and he'd show me where. Around 12:30 he took me into the spot and left me to set up.

I set up figuring on where deer would probably come from and let out some turkey calls with the diaphram call. (Just to make it sound like some turkeys had walked through the crunchy leaves instead of two guys).

I let it settle down for about 40 minutes and when the wind calmed down, I let out two deep grunts and shook some limbs on the tree I was in. I waited about fifteen minutes and decided to do it again, so I shook the limbs again and did a grunt snort wheeze with my mouth.

Around 2:30 (maybe half an hour after I last called) Im standing facing where I expect a buck to come from when I hear crunching leaves behind me. I slowly turn my head and see antlers coming through the small saplings. I reach for my bow and hook up my release. He comes RIGHT under my tree RIGHT where I had laid all my clothes and pack etc. He snorts when he gets to this spot and spooks back about ten yards. I start to turn, but soon realize hes still staring in my direction. I stop. He watches and watches. I wait. He turns to leave and I quickly turn around into a shooting position. Too thick where he is, so I watch him. Hes now headed towards an opening at about 20 yards. He STOPS JUST before he gets in the opening. He is now snorting and stomping and directly downwind. The gig is up. I draw back in hopes he will go into the opening. It takes him about 30 seconds but he finally steps into the opening and turns (quartering away). I let the shot go, but it must have been slightly further than 20, more like 23-25. It looks like a good shot though. I watch him run off and he starts walking about 80 yards out. He goes out of sight at about 100. SO I wait about twenty minutes and the suspense is killing me. I climb down and tip toe over to the spot. The arrow is clean with a broken broadhead and a few drops of blood on the arrow. My heart sank. There is blood though, so I pack up my gear and sneak out of the woods. I go back to Kris's house and tell him the news. We waited about an hour and a half and then went back in. We pick up the blood trail and follow him for about 200 yards, (downhill, then uphill) I think we jumped him at the top of the mountain but I was thinking its probably a leg hit, so I figured to push the deer. He goes down the other side of the mountain. We still had blood and there was TONS of it for the entire 200 yards. So we marked the last spot and also marked it on Kris's GPS. The plan is to go back in in the morning and pick up the blood again. Hopefully I can find him, but I have a feeling I might not.

My thoughts are that I shot low and hit the opposite front leg because of the quartering away angle. I saw the arrow go with him for a few yards, so that has to be what happened.

I feel horrible about this.
[down]:eek::(:(:(

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Ian I told you I saw a monster Back there. I saw about 15 deer none in range and 1 of them a shooter buck but he was stuck to the Does like glue. So I went home with none. But I know where there is a big one so I will have to pay him a Visit =)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts