New Jersey Hunters banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Pressure all around us... the pressure backs off .. the deer start moving back to the surrounding areas.. and those areas are farms with the destruction permit...

The farmers blast the heck out of them... what are you left with?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Do either of you use bait to keep the deer in your area?

·
Registered
289 Posts
When I first started deer hunting, that was where I got my first deer. A doe that dressed out at 120 lbs. Back then during M/L there was usually only around 4 or 5 people coming in off Spillway. Everyone was always spread apart. Never a problem. One of the last times I hunted there during 6-day I had my nephew with me. I went to my normal spot and set my nephew up about 150 yds. away. A friend of mine had a lock on stand that he only used during bow about 70 yds. from where I was. We were set up before the sun came up. About 15 min. before legal shooting time I watched someone walk up and climb up in the stand. I shined my flashlight up at him. and he didn't even flinch. After the sun came up I walked up to him and asked him why he was there, he said it was a friends stand, of course he didn't know his friend name. After that time I only hunted it for M/L. It always was a great place to go. I've got a lot of good memories there.[up]

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
friend of mine got one out of there 6 day F/A week. 154 lbs, I think it was. Still can pull nice ones..

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Elmer Lake WMA, I hunt that too. Most people don't realize there is basically no property next to the lake that can be hunted...that is private land, and belongs to my brothers' in-laws. He and I hunt that, post it every year, and every year the signs get torn down. We've been catching people in there regularly, and I stopped giving warnings in 2004, now everyone gets charged. He lives right up the street so it's easy for us to catch them there now, but we still miss a few.

The other small pieces that go with Elmer are landlocked by private land, but get HAMMERED. I have permission to get to them, but so do alot of people. After about the first week of bow season, any deer in there have been chased out of those little spots and run across the road into private land.
Hey , do you know anyone around there with a Deer destruction permit?

·
Registered
8 Posts
to nj_bowhunter in thundergut walk back to the guly take a right and follow the trail up to food plots and hunt the state land right nex to it i have done this in years past and waffled a prett decent 8 and some does[cool]

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hoghead (you sure it's okay to call you that :) ), I think you already know where I hunt there. ;) How did you guys make out Sunday afternoon?
By the way, I posted this question 6 years ago but things still seem the same over there.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'm going to try thundergut this weekend .I'm setting up stands on every tree till there aren't any trees left without a deer stand in it .[rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][lol][hihi]

·
Registered
202 Posts
i hunt there. lots of deer but this year had some a$$%&(* pouring detergent and aftershave and beer all over at my stand. Know of a few others this happened to also.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
this year had some a$$%&(* pouring detergent and aftershave and beer all over at my stand. Know of a few others this happened to also
Had soap around my stand too. Hunters in that area suck big time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i know this is an old thread but there are really some lowlifes that hunt there. They come out at gun season. They sabotage others chances at deer and could care less what you think. They Stole my ground blind I had set up. I know there are two hunters with stand some 100+ yards from mine and came across one the night after i set it up. He asked me if I'd be in it in the morning. I said no but he wife probably would and he saw my son who's 8 and loves hunting with us in tow. He was so disappointed today when we got out to the blind area and it was gone!.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts