New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone hunting there. Oh wait, let me re-phrase that, is anyone from this site huting there...I already know about 2000 people are hunting it.

I've been hunting there for several years, but started hunting it more frequently this year. I've been seeing some sign, but not much in the way of deer, so I've been doing some scouting the past month during midday hours. I've only covered about 1/4 of the total land area, and I've found 67 stands in the trees. No lie, I have never seen such hunting pressure. No wonder I can't find a deer in the daylight.

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
Good luck,won't find me there now.I've been down there a few times over the last couple years and scouted some of the new property that was added on.
Too many guys for me.Wish I had a decent farm to lease.Oops,I forgot,we do lease a farm,but hunting down there isn't probably any better than T Gut! [down]

·
Registered
289 Posts
I used to hunt there all the time. Off spillway is where I spent most of my time. I got a couple of nice does(110-120 lbs.) The deer are there their patterns constantly change with each season. There are good size deer there and are plentiful. Good Luck[up]

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Iron, that area around the lake is loaded with stands. I don't have any trouble finding deer sign, problem is there are stands EVERYWHERE, and I mean EVERYWHERE. Seriously, I've hunted WMA's in Salem and Cumberland county for 25 years and never seen pressure like that. Just wondered if any of those stands belonged to anyone here.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I haven't been there for two years, I always hunted off to the right of the next tower. About a hundred or so yds. in the thicker area, and also in that oak grove just past there. They usually travel along the streams on both sides of the power lines.
Good luck[up]

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
there is better pieces of ground than that one.

if you want to stay there... Come off of freesburg road.. not as crowded

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
[confused]
what are you confused about?

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Wow, why are you staying there? Some legendary bucks running around? Seems like an insane amount of pressure, I'd be looking elsewhere for sure! ;)

BTW, interesting WMA name...is that to describe how you feel when you get to your hunting location to see 8 treestands surrounding yours in a 50 yard radius? The ol' Thundergut in the morning...like someone just recoiled a 10 gauge into your gut.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've hunted it for a long time, but don't usually do alot of in-season scouting there. I did some thins year and found all the stands. The pressure has really exploded in the last few years I guess.

Java...I do go in from Freisburg Rd.

I'll probably keep a few spots in reserve there, but am trying the UBNJ hunt in Quinton this year. Probably almost as crowded, but hopefully not, we'll see.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
have you tried any other state ground other than thundergut?

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
have you tried any other state ground other than thundergut?
I used to hunt Salem River, but not too much any more. Same for Maskels Mill Pond. I hunt a few private places, Thundergut, the Natural Lands Trust and Union Lake WMA the most. Oh yeah, what little woods there is to Elmer Lake WMA, I hunt that too. Most people don't realize there is basically no property next to the lake that can be hunted...that is private land, and belongs to my brothers' in-laws. He and I hunt that, post it every year, and every year the signs get torn down. We've been catching people in there regularly, and I stopped giving warnings in 2004, now everyone gets charged. He lives right up the street so it's easy for us to catch them there now, but we still miss a few.

The other small pieces that go with Elmer are landlocked by private land, but get HAMMERED. I have permission to get to them, but so do alot of people. After about the first week of bow season, any deer in there have been chased out of those little spots and run across the road into private land.

Up until last year, we also leased a piece of ground by USANA for a few years, but had alot of trespassing problems there with the guys who used to hunt it. Me and my buddy gave it up, but someone was right there to pay for it after we left.

It's really hard to find a decent piece of private ground in that area now. If you are seeing the kind of deer numbers you posted, you have something very rare...keep ahold of it.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
we are def. trying to keep a hold of it..

That is why I am trying to do something about the deer destruction permit.

The numbers that you see are true...

one example... in 2 1/2 hours... we saw 83 deer -- no repeats... they were coming out of the woods headed to the field...

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
WTF, 83 deer? I don't think there are 83 deer in the entire WMA I hunt. OK there are, but that's a big chunk of them. How big is this piece you are hunting? I figure they are "yarding" or fielding up this time of year so you pull alot of deer into this field during the winter?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
everyone driving pushes them to a place where there isn't a lot of pressure...

35 to 40 acres

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
83 deer??? Do you need some help reducing the herd over there. :D Seriously, if you see 83 deer coming to a field, I can see why the guy wants a crop damage permit.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
deer destruction permits are helping more than he needs!

Believe me the number will be decreased by 50% by spring..
A lot of people around us are pushing hard

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
83 deer on 35-40 acres is entirely too many. Man, that is just plain sick, but I'm sure it's enjoyable and entertaining hunting to see so much action.

How are they going to cut them down by 50% if the place doesn't have alot of pressure and is where everyone is driving them into?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts