New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be out tomorrow(12/9) afternoon. How do you guys think the deer will react after the forcasted snow stops falling? Do you think they will be active and move, or will they hunker down for a while, meaning still hunting would be a better option. Just curious on your thoughts and past experiences.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
We might see a mix of rain - that throws a wrench into it.

I say they'll move.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
They well be looking for food when it stops, You All can take that to the Bank....

Going by reports: snow starting around 12am tonite thru 12pm tomorrow.... 12 hours is to long for a deer to go with out fresh food to eat....

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Both will work..... Fresh snow makes for great still hunting easy to trax deer. I'll be out in the morning I will put out fresh pile of corn and sit back till they come.... I'll try and hold off for a nice buck..... should be getting close to the second breeding cycle aka: the second RUT.....

·
Registered
876 Posts
should be getting close to the second breeding cycle aka: the second RUT
Mystic, the buck I shot on Monday morning was VERY hot on a doe. My buddy also shot a buck in the PM and that one too was chasing a doe. So at least where I'm hunting the second cycle seems to be happening now.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My friend shot an eleven point in Salem Co. on Tuesday that was chasing a doe. Two other bucks jumped over him flopping on the ground to follow her. Second cycle is on. The snow, if it gets here in time, will be a big plus in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
the buck i got was following a doe, that same day i saw another following a doe. from what ive seen so far this season, i think its still the first cycle. could be wrong, but i didnt even see any chasing till two weeks ago. me and a buddy will be still hunting together, hoping to bounce deer back and forth to each other, the whole day, no matter how much snow

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I'll be out tomorrow(12/9) afternoon. How do you guys think the deer will react after the forcasted snow stops falling? Do you think they will be active and move, or will they hunker down for a while, meaning still hunting would be a better option. Just curious on your thoughts and past experiences.
They will be out when the weather calms down. If you are stand hunting, take it REAL SLOW on the way in and keep looking ahead of you for any movement. They'll be there.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Some of my best days have been in the snow storms all hunting and fishing.Be carefull though and try not to hunt alone or at least let some one know where your expected to be. Before a storm and during a storm and after a storm could all be hot.Unless your there one would never know.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Be carefull though and try not to hunt alone or at least let some one know where your expected to be
I'll be out with a friend, can't wait, nothing like hunting if freshly fallen snow.

Good Luck and bent barrels to anyone else venturing out!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts