New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If your looking for work and theres nothing in the papers not sure if you know that craigslist also has alot of job listings not just stuff for sale , Second dont forget that you may be able to get free training in somthing else other then your current job ,i may go and get my CDL liecense as a back up if the electrical dosnt pick back up but they have alot of different things to train for .Good luck to everyone
John

·
Banned
5,494 Posts
Thanks! Do you know what school you may go to? Because i went to Northampton Community College in Bethlehem, PA and they are really good. What ever you do, don't go to Windsor driving school in Linden, NJ.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
CDL is on my list of things to get doen when I am out of work. I am a volunteer FF and one of these years they will mandate I have a CDL to drive the engines and ladder trucks. Might as well get the CDL so at least I have it and can find trucking work should I ever get laid off.

Good points guys.

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
Theres always a way to find work if you ask me. I applaud everyone whos taking steps to be prepared for the worst!

I had sod put in about a week ago, and I was helping the guy I paid to lay the sod. He told me that I didnt need to help him because I was paying him. I told him that I wanted to help and enjoy working outside. He was happy I was willing to work with him and paused for a few minutes to give me some advice.

He is a 52 year old man from Liberia who came here about 8 years ago to find work. He told me that he is amazed by the opportunities here in this country. But he also is amazed at the amount of laziness he sees here. He said...."You can never go broke in this country if your not ashamed to do the work". This man works countless odd jobs and collects junk to make ends meet. He pays his bills here and puts several of his children through school in Liberia (not to mention taking care of other relatives there).

My point in all of this is that there is always work, maybe its not the work you want to do....but thers work to be had if you want it.

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
there is always work, maybe its not the work you want to do....but thers work to be had if you want it.
[up]

·
Registered
97 Posts
A couple of basic tips for the CDL guys:

1 - keep your license clean (accidents & fines)
2 - no drugs
3 - solid work history - do not jump jobs (rule of thumb is 1 year per employer)

Most reputable trucking companies run legal and by the book. Their insurance mandates certain requirements to hire new drivers (and to stay employed).

Class A can pull in $53,000 to $67,000 per year.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mr hyde is that true with unemployment as well. They had sent me some info about JTPA job training programs and when i called to ask them about it they told me that people can qualify for training such as getting a CDL computer training and thing in the health care systems, So im just going on what they told me but thatnks for the info ill have to check further into it to see if it has been done away with.
John

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Happybloodtrail thanks for the heads up didnt know that stuff was going on on craigslist .

sweetlou thanks ill check out monster i always thought that was more towards corperate or sales type jobs and not towards skilled trades.

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
So what are you saying people that are laid of are lazy!!!
How you could even get that from what I said ill never know. I was agreeing with your thread...that taking steps to prepare for the worst is the responsible thing to do. Maybe being a truck driver isnt exactly what some had in mind to make ends meet, but a responsible person does what needs to be done to make ends meet. My entire post was commending your inital thread[wallmad]

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.