New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im noticing that this year, very few mature bucks are being shot. I know that personally, I am having a tough time getting on or even seing any good bucks. There are so many acrons on the ground that the deer arnt moving much, and its not as simple as just getting in a tree that is dropping...because they are all dropping acrons like crazy.

Just take a look around the site, not too many guys shooting mature bucks. The same seems to be true off this site with other guys I know. In years past, by now many guys have had some nice deer on the ground. All in all I think hunting has been tough this year so far.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Hey, I got a big one....
Season has only been open for two weeks.
And with EAB, not many hunting that often to get out get the doe then get a real good shooter. I was hunting a lot to get mine.
This early in the season it is better to pass the good deer for a great deer. I know of a few doing that. Probably the reason for the minamal entrys so far.
I am seeing lots of deer and mature bucks. I would expect as we get into October there will be entries coming pretty often.

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The season just started!
True, and thats sort of my point. If your gonna shoot a big buck, your gonna either do it the first week or so of the season, and then again maybe when they start chasing the does. Obviously it doesnt always happen that way, but thats normally the trend.

By now, a couple weeks into the season, more bucks should have been shot. I think this site is a good indicator of what happens hunting wise around the state, and there arnt that many bucks down from members here.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
The awesome acorn drop is a big factor in deer sighting and killings. I've let 7 bucks go that where all within 15 yards of me. Just not shooters in my book. But now I don't even see those bucks around. Time for me to move stands.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I agree with you Chris. We touched upon this in a thread yesterday.

An abundance of food gives deer a lot of choices and freedom to move little, move less and if feeling hunting pressure, eat later.

They aren't competing for food and they aren't as concentrated as they are when the acorns are more scarce.

That being said, big bucks are still out there and guys that usually kill them will still get the job done. Others will get lucky and some will have a very tough season.

That's hunting!:D

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
I think this site is a good indicator of what happens hunting wise around the state, and there arnt that many bucks down from members here.
[up]
An abundance of food gives deer a lot of choices and freedom to move little, move less and if feeling hunting pressure, eat later.
I agree

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
OK on the P&Y.

I have two I've seen, but you need some luck with those. Especially getting them the first two weeks even though it is the best time to.

It's tough to pass a real good shooter and wait for those. Guess I'm not that disciplined yet.

Believe me, I was hunting those- was out every day for 8 straight days/or evenings.
I caved, I shot, I'm done until permit...for better or worse...

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
I never hunt this time of year for a couple reasons. It is just to warm and meat spoils quickly. The big bucks are still staying low and won't starting branching out until the RUT. once it cools down the rut will start in slowely and the activity of the BIG mature bucks will increase.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Even the does are not moving. There are so many acorns I have yet to fill my EAB, usually I have that done within the first 2 days.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
I never hunt this time of year for a couple reasons. It is just to warm and meat spoils quickly. The big bucks are still staying low and won't starting branching out until the RUT. once it cools down the rut will start in slowely and the activity of the BIG mature bucks will increase.
I don't agree with that at all except it's warm and the meat spoils quickly.

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
The wind direction has sucked, only 2-3 days of NW so far. South and east are horrible here for my location. NW days I see plenty:D This should be a good week once the front passes today.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Saw a great buck yesterday on public land and coulda wacked him if I had a doe already. Think I'm going to have to start taking a day or two off from work every other week and get out bowhunting more.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Chris I agree 100 percent. It's been a discouraging season for me so far. What's most discouraging is I will get pics of bucks coming in every couple hours for several days straight and then I get a day off to hunt and it rains cats and dogs.... Good luck Chris.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
i agree, i havent been out a ton yet, still a lil warm for me, but when i have been out ive seen bears and a few deer. It has been going slow. My buddy is out of work and been out a TON and is having trouble even seeing deer and the spots we've been hunting are tore up with rubs, scrapes and tonssss of acorns. Its frusterating and confusing.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
THE DEER have changed for sure and the acorns is a big reason. i have acorns all over my lease. i had alot of good bucks on the moultrie trail cam but it has stopped. layed eyes on 2 great shooters the other night after i moved into a acorn ridge. they were 38 yards and no shot. but i have nothing really moving at this point besides late night. there geting fat and lazy. packing on the pounds for rut. hope it get cold and the rutt starts. cant wait. im looking to tag out in the rut this year.

good luck to all

1 - 20 of 69 Posts