New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I woke up at 2:45, got out of bed around 3:15. Ran to Wawa for breakfast and coffee. Then back home for the boat, gun and ammo. Dropped in and left the docks around 4:15. Got to the spot and tossed out the decoys, then around 5:30 I'm sitting in the boat waiting for LST. Of course I had a duck land in the decoy spread about 20minutes before LST just like the past 2 times I was out. Then LST rolls around and nothing in sight! I got to see a few black ducks but either my calling sucked or they didn't want to hear anything, after realizing that I took the lanyard off and hung it up on the blind. The wind picked up a lot more and I would see a few blacks flying around but nothing came in distance... I was getting alittle cold and really thinking the end of the day is here. Kept thinking that but at the same time telling myself I'll stay out as long as possible. I'd say somewhere around 11:30-12 I saw a group of 8 black ducks flying in the strong wind behind me, knowing not to call I just stayed real still and tried to keep an eye on them, as I saw then turn straight towards my decoys I slowly put my hands on the gun. 8 birds with wings cupped I jumped up and nailed my first ever duck! One shot one duck, couldn't have gone better! And really gap it was a black duck!

I want to thank everyone on this site who have taken the time to help myself a new guy out, I've been givin a ton of tips, tricks, ideas. Especially njlungbuster, dgram36 and get some

Attachments

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks a lot guys! I'd say busting my balls compared to all the other gun shots I got to hear haha but so worth it I also forgot to mention that I used the Winchester shells I patterned a couple days ago and what a difference that made. Thanks again. When the wind picked up it shifted and I wasn't really in the best spot but it worked out in the end

Just got done cooking it, I fileted the breasts out and covered them in Italian dressing, then wrapped in thick cut bacon and cooked in the oven at 350 for 45 minutes. It tasted like London broil haha

Next is more/better recipes. And back at it tomorrow morning!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nice man. My first duck (quite a while ago) was a nice drake black duck also. Although perhaps not so rare for our area, that is a GREAT first duck. Nice job.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Nice man. My first duck (quite a while ago) was a nice drake black duck also. Although perhaps not so rare for our area, that is a GREAT first duck. Nice job.
Thanks a lot man! I was so excited!
I saw someone on NJHunter made a souvenir out of a shotgun shell and turkey feathers well I'm going to make one with the black duck black/blue feathers and the shell I shot it with

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Sweet!!!

Sometimes it's pretty hard not to get discouraged. Those are the times that if you stick with the task at hand and focus, magic happens.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
great job, sounds like you got a good set up to fool those wary black ducks. to get 1 or 2 at a clip to decoy is one thing but to get 8 is another thing. you should be proud of your accomplishments over the past week. set up is the most important thing over all else. 80% of the time if your set up is good you can leave the calls at home and kill ducks

1 - 20 of 55 Posts