New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there has been discusion on why people trap, it isnt for the money, yea i enjoy doing it but my livestock is the main reason. the other day i noticed some digging around the outside of the chicken fence from fox trying to get in so i set 3 snares on the out side of it and yeaserday i got one fox out of those 3 sets, so i re did that one set so i would still have my 3 sets there and this morning i found these fox waiting for me. without having the tools we have now to protect my farm from these preditors i would of lost my whole flock last night.
my girls are safe for another night. the girls were strutting around like na na boo hoo you cant get me, our dad watches out for us.

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
nice! I had about a 100 chickens when I lived in PA. covered the top with chicken wire because of hawks, trapped around the pen and shot a few yotes that did not get close enough for the traps! lol
way to go!

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nice! I had about a 100 chickens when I lived in PA. covered the top with chicken wire because of hawks, trapped around the pen and shot a few yotes that did not get close enough for the traps! lol
way to go!
i had to put flight netting over the run to try to keep the hawks at bay. you can see it in the pics.

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
rgw , yes I missed that on first glance. have any freeze this week? I would lose a couple when it got this cold out.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rgw , yes I missed that on first glance. have any freeze this week? I would lose a couple when it got this cold out.
no, when it gets this cold out i close off half of their roosting area so they pack in like sardines in the other half for the night, it keeps them warmer and i havent lost one since i started doing it. i only close half down if it is 30 or below

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Lots of reds this year around me. Have seen more this year than any year I can remember

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
As a fly fishing geek, guide and fly tyer, I have a fondness for male red fox pelts. The famous Catskill style Hendrickson mayfly dun (dry fly) uses the body dubbing of "urine stained red fox" for the body. The color where a fox pees a little bit on itself is the perfect color match for this famous Eastern mayfly on many male fox pelts. Random fly fishing trivia there.....

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice but your staying just ahead of me again on the reds. Nice going
[rofl] really not trying to stay ahead. This year is probably the least amount of sets I have had out by far but they were good sets. Today was my best day with 9 sets I got 7 reds and two other sets were tripped.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Good work, scrambled eggs live another day! This is one reason I am making it a goal to take the class this year.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts