New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know everyone warns of Tick bites and Lyme disease, I've heard it for years.
I am an outdoors man, over the past 60+ years I've done more stuff to my body than I care to remember, repairs usually consisted of electric or duct tape an a handkerchief. Last time I went to the hospital was when I cut off my little finger, I was released with two hours, even then I went to and participated in an archery shoot two days later, I say this to show that I am not the sickly type.
Over the years my wife and I have picked literally hundreds of ticks off my body her lecturing me, and me agreeing and trying to be as tick repellent as possible, without staying out of the woods.
November 8th leaving my nieces wedding reception as soon as I stepped into my truck a massive chill shook my body, I could barely get the key into the ignition. All night I alternated between freezing and night sweats. We treated it as a cold, returned home the next day, and the night sweats, joint pain, and bone racking chills continued. On Nov 11, I saw my family physician and was informed it wasn't the flu, it was just something viral passing thru, I'd be better in another two or three days.
By November 16th I felt well enough to go on a Maryland Whitetail Hunt. The first day it poured and we got soaked, the second day was below freezing and blustery and I got chilled. We returned home and I felt like I was coming down with this VIRAL infection again. Kept taking Alka Seltzer plus, and vitamin C. Kept getting weaker and sicker. Nov 21st, was my first fall down, Got up to leave the dog out and bit the carpet. Picked myself up, and wall bounced to let the dog out.
This happened again a couple of times Nov 22, and 23 rd, without my wife's knowledge, and being a typical man, I didn't say anything. I was still treating it as a cold, Bone racking chills, sweats that would soak thru the sheets, and my clothes, joint pain that was pretty much unbearable.
Tuesday Nov 25th I could barely move out of my chair, when I did I'd hit the carpet and could barely get back up. I was weak as a kitten, I decided to go to the hospital. All a Doctor is going to do is send me out for blood work and wait a couple of days, so off to Meridian I went with my son as my chauffeur. Got into the emergency room about 930 am, and they started testing, they tested all day and couldn't find anything in my blood work or urine to give them a clue as to what was going on. They did x rays, cat scans, ultra sounds, nothing showing up. But the emergency room doctor knows I'm sick, my 103 fever and sweat soaked bed and gowns tell him that. Finally my wife says, did they do a Lyme screen? "Good idea" says the ER Doc, and they draw the blood for that, and admit me for overnight observation.
Tuesday evening was horrible, it seemed like there was always a nurse or an aide taking my temp, changing the bedding, replacing my IV. I'd lost so much moisture I was severely dehydrated. One of the aides spent most of the overnight wiping me down with cold compresses, or covering me up because I was shivering so badly, I was shaking the bed. At one point they gave me oxygen because my body temp was so low.
Wednesday morning an infectious disease Doctor came to see me, he sat up a series of test that they did all day Wednesday, I missed most of the them, I was in and out of consciousness. Wednesday afternoon he came in an told us the first markers for Lyme's came in and were positive, and stared my antibiotics. Wednesday evening and night were a carbon copy of Tuesday, same little aide mopping me off taking my temp, changing the soaked sheets.
Thursday, Thanksgiving, I was starting to come around, could walk unaided, had Thanksgiving dinner with wife and kids....in the room, what a wonderful setting. But they were there and it made it more special. That was my first nights good sleep, Friday they did some more test, told me it was Lymes for sure, packed me up and sent me home with a bag of antibiotics. I'll be down another couple of weeks, but I'm on the road to recovery.
Now to show how bad this stuff is, women have babies and are sent home the next day, people have gall bladder surgery, appendix removals, tumor removals, even the loss of a digit and are sent home either same day or next day. The kept me 4 days trying to get me under control and insure that it was what they thought it was.
Don't take tick bites lightly, get a Lymes screen if you think you have signs of a Lymes. It's easier to get it under control before it takes hold, than after it takes control, because it does take control, when it knocks a guy like me down, it’s some bad stuff.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Been There done that , It is a terrible disease ,lucky you caught it time . I have seen a couple people That are almost crippled from Lyme . Read article that Morris county Park police women wrote about Lyme disease . I met Margie she is not in good shape for a young women . (Morris park police officer entitled to compensation over Lyme disease)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Glad they got you back on track,everyone in my family has had it over the last 30 years.not sure if the told you but lay off the foods with yeast and sugar,the spyrocites (sp) feed off of that.Good luck,it sucks.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
glad to hear your feeling better. because of ticks and lyme disease i really don't venture into woods like i did years ago. some of these deer ticks are so small they are hard to see with the naked eye. as you know lyme disease is no joke. my sister had it, myself and my dog so everybody hunting even in this cold don't take it for granted ticks aren't out. they are !

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I, too, have been treated for Lyme Disease and the regimen of doxycycline is no fun. I would say that if one is active in the woods and fields of NJ on a regular basis, that person is going to get it unless one takes the necessary precautions, every single time one goes out. The tick that gives you Lyme Disease you will probably never see, until it has embedded itself and infected you. Since that time I have always worn clothing , from socks to hat, permeated with permethren (clothing only, not onto your skin) and insect repellant on the skin, thought tests show that the deer tick is not much deterred by Deet. A scalding hot shower or bath as soon as I walk into the house completes the regimen. A bothersome routine, yes, but if you go into the woods and fields of NJ on a regular basis one that you had better get used to because you will not want to get used to the treatment for an active deer tick infection. By the one the dog ticks or wood ticks you do easily see don't carry Lyme Disease. The deer tick is the size of a pin head so don't count on your ability to spot the deer tick before it burrows in. One last admonition. It is high grass, weeds and shrubbery, rather than tall trees that generally support a population of deer ticks.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
That's a terrible feeling-
I had lunes about 15 years ago when I was a kid. Reading the description of how you felt gave me chills and made we want to puke! All the chills and bed sweats came back to such a realistic feeling I just about felt sick with it again! I just remember shivering one second and drenched in sweat another. Luckily I had a bullseye show up on my neck and my arm so I knew it was Lymes an was able to treat it quickly.

Terrible terrible feeling

·
Registered
713 Posts
Feel better! My younger brother got it when we were younger, it's no joke.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Sad to hear you joined the club. Get well soon. Even after treatment you'll want to get tested every once in a while. My doc is sending me for a new test next week. Good luck!

·
Registered
12,826 Posts
Been there my friend..my temp reached 104.5 ..I thought I was going to die...stay well

·
Registered
10,463 Posts
Feel better ... at least you caught it early before it became the chronic, debilitating condition known as Chronic Lyme Disease (CLD). [up]

1 - 20 of 38 Posts