New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Relatively new to bowhunting. I have a stand up but according to my cameras, the deer seem to be only using the area just before dark or during the night.

I have a rattling pack that I have been practicing with and watched a bunch of youtube videos. If I go to an area where I think the deer may be during the day, and sit down next to a tree, do you think I have any shot of having a buck move into shooting distance from rattling? I am wondering if bowhunting without a ground blind or treestand is possible at all? I guess I know that anything can happen on any day, but I am wondering if I have any realistic odds of a deer coming into shooting distance with this tactic or if its better to park myself in my stand all day and hope for the best...

Thank you.

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
You are seeing what most other people see. Deer activity at night. Rattling can help or hurt. There are no guarantees in the world of deer hunting. Put in the time and good things will happen. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
9,805 Posts
I have shot a lot of deer from the ground with no blind, just standing behind a tree. You said sitting, so I am thinking maybe you have a crossbow, which would be even more effective from the ground than my longbow. Ground hunting can be especially effective during the rut when deer are preoccupied and you can often maneuver into position as a buck is chasing a doe. As for rattling, it can work, but I would recommend use of the grunt tube on bucks seen out of range. Of course an elevated stand or pop up blind gives you a bigger advantage and I wouldn't be surprised of some of those night time movers come around in the daytime during the rut. Also, the camera doesn't always show you all that happens around your stand.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Done em all,no simple answer!Depend's where you hunt.Rattling worked for me zone 2,3,5,8 but not closer to suburbs.Takin deer from ground and still hunting.Knowing your area topo wise is a key.Been locked up a climber to watch a buck chase a hot doe and never get to my stand for a shot.If I'd known then what I know now,i'd a hit that ground for an intercept.Bucks nose gets clogged with female hormone,and there eye's go tunnel vision.Good time now with the rut to try your luck,mobility used right can be a big asset.Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.