New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I'll be honest, I had no idea rattlesnakes went in the water[confused], not a big snake expert. I would have motored away rather than whacking it with my rod though.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I think I would have turned the boat so the prop was facing him and gave it the gas.

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
I once had a cottonmouth swim up to the boat like that on the Chatahochee River. (border between Georgia and Alabama) he swam like that only with his mouth open wide. As far as I know a cottonmouth is the only venomous water snake. If that actually was a rattler it is surprising to see it in water. I generally associate rattlers & copperheads with the high & dry.

Perhaps Telefante could lend his expertise to this subject.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
That was probably an Eastern Diamondback - judging by the size - but I can't say for sure. They can be 8 feet long and they are the biggest rattler... I think. All snakes can swim - even if it isn't their common habitat they will swim to travel or if they are accidentally swept into the water.

The last snake that I saw was a 24" garter snake in the talons on a red-tailed hawk 25 feet over my head in the woods on Thursday. Another - it's mate? - followed along screaming beside it. What a beautiful earth....[up]

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
The last snake that I saw was a 24" garter snake in the talons on a red-tailed hawk 25 feet over my head in the woods on Thursday. Another - it's mate? - followed along screaming beside it. What a beautiful earth....
Thats cool!![up][up]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.