New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just spoke with a source close to the top leaders of the state's wildlife managment professionals and this person said the Game Code that sets dates and seasons can only be changed every two years and this is not one of those years. This person said that when if the deer harvest data indicates a need to decrease deer harvests, then the first seasons to be affected will be the permit gun seasons that go into January and February.

So long live our September bowhunting and the chance to harvest monsters in their late summer patterns possibly sporting that magical velvet.

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
I'm pretty sure you're wrong. I read on newjerseyhunter.com that it's gone next year. Those guys on there are never wrong.

·
Registered
879 Posts
You mean the shortening of the September bow season was a RUMOR?
Great to see someone actually has the fact based answer:
Game Code that sets dates and seasons can only be changed every two years and this is not one of those years. This person said that when if the deer harvest data indicates a need to decrease deer harvests, then the first seasons to be affected will be the permit gun seasons that go into January and February.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The Fedation guy at my gun club meeting tonight said that the State is going to make the first three weeks of the early season a new crossbow season so they can sell a permit for it. But because the crossbow is now a bow, you will be able to use compounds, recurves, and longbows as well just as long as you buy the permit. No bs...heard this tonight!!!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
hunting in september never feels right for me anyway...i need a chill in the air, and leaves changing color for it 2 feel like bow season...Outside of jersey winter bow, I only hunt Pennsylvania, so this is probably why I feel this way.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Game Code that sets dates and seasons can only be changed every two years and this is not one of those years.
A few years back the Council passed a ruling that allows them to "BYPASS" the 2 year rule. But they can only move an area up or down ONE "regulation set". The lower the Regulation Set, the more restrictive. So if they move an area down one "set" it may put in into a Regulation set that does not ALLOW early bow.
I was at the Mtg. when this was passed.
It allows them to take FASTER action on an area that shows a dramatic decrease in the deer herd. Example: If Blue Tongue hits an area hard..

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
It allows them to take FASTER action on an area that shows a dramatic decrease in the deer herd.
and they still move 3 years too slow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts