·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From The Women's Outdoor Wire
Wednesday, August 19, 2009

http://www.womensoutdoorwire.com/releases/204880

The youngest grand slam?

At age 7, Adriana Armstrong may be the youngest girl to harvest the grand slam of turkeys. Her older sister, 11-year old Alli, also scored a grand slam in the spring of 2009. Although many hunters strive to achieve this coveted milestone, the two Illinois siblings may be the youngest grand-slam-sister-team on record.

The National Wild Turkey Federation (NWTF) identifies the grand slam of turkey hunting as harvesting one of each of the following sub species: Eastern, Rio Grande, Merriam's and Osceola (Florida). The NWTF awarded the girl's accomplishments with official certificates and pins. Adriana is believed to be the youngest girl to complete a grand slam. When she started the season, Adriana was 6-years-old and turned 7 during her quest. The entire Armstrong family went on every hunt and all were captured on video. In fact, every member of the family now has grand slams.

Susan Armstrong, the girls' mother, was the first member of the family to get her grand slam and is a member of the SHE Outdoor Apparel field staff. Susan recalls their recent adventures, "We started out in Florida in Alachua County where the girls took two jakes on the first evening. This completed Alli's first grand slam and started Adriana's. As soon as Adriana shot her Osceola, she started talking to her daddy about going after her own grand slam."

The next day Alli and her father Darrick accomplished what Susan describes as "the ultimate DDD or daughter-daddy-double. They scored on two gobblers, which completed Darrick's grand slam and started Alli on the trail to her second."

Upon returning to their farm in Southern Illinois Adriana doubled on two Easterns and Alli took another great gobbler. Soon the family was headed to Donley County in Texas to hunt with All American Outfitters. Adriana got a jake and a gobbler in the same morning. Later that evening Alli called in a four-bearded gobbler and scored her Rio.

Next, they headed to Trophies Plus Outfitters in southeastern Montana to hunt Wyoming Merriam's with outfitter Mike Watkins. Alli and Darrick pulled off yet another successful DDD.

Alli shot her turkey then gave her dad the gun and took control of the camera to video
his hunt. Adriana completed her grand slam on this hunt, too.

This hunt completed Alli's second grand slam all in one season. Susan describes an added twist to the story, "What made it even more special for everyone is that Alli was able to take her second grand slam with Mark Cubley's 12 gauge Benelli. Mark was a close family friend who passed away suddenly in the spring of 2008. He had always dreamed of getting his grand slam. Mark was more like an uncle to Alli and Adriana, and he loved turkey hunting. Alli and Mark had traveled to Florida the year before he died to try for a slam, but neither one harvested an Osceola. After he passed away, Mark's family wanted Alli to have his Benelli. She graciously accepted the gun and pursued the emotional grand slam in his memory."

The hunt culminated a season that would make any hunter proud.

For more information on the Armstrong girl's hunting adventures visit www.alliarmstrong.com.

For more information on SHE Outdoor Apparel, visit www.shesafari.com.

[email protected]

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Congratulations to all three young ladies [up]

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
That's great!! [up][up] And here I am still trying to get my first at 27. [hihi]

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
cool! i thought the oscelated turkey from the amazon was a part of the slam? No?

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OneShot, from the NWTF's website . . .

Grand, Royal, Mexican, Canadian and World Slams
A slam is achieved by harvesting the following birds:

Grand Slam: Eastern, Rio Grande, Merriam's and Osceola (Florida) birds
Royal Slam: Four subspecies listed above in addition to the Gould's bird
World Slam: Five subspecies listed above in addition to the Ocellated wild turkey
Mexican Slam:Rio Grande, Gould's and Ocellated birds harvested in Mexico only
Canadian Slam:Harvesting the Eastern and Merriam's bird in the following provinces (It cut me off here)

http://www.nwtf.org/all_about_turkeys/records_slams.html

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
ms grit,

thanks for clearing that up, ive wondered about that in the past becasue i have no desire to go to the amazon ha. I knew there was a few different slams but wasn't sure, now i know! So far i only have easterns and merriams under my belt.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So far i only have easterns and merriams under my belt.
Well, you've got more than me :D

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Well, you've got more than me
:D Same here, I've never hunted outside of NJ so only easterns for me. Right now I'm looking into possibly booking something for Spring 2010 for Merriam's or Rio's but with another youngin on the way we'll see.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
All it takes is time and money to slam out nothing more and apparently their daddy had both time and money to see that his daughters connected with these slams.

This is not a magical feat like some want to think. It takes time and money to pursue this act.:p

·
Registered
716 Posts
Hey Cat, ANYTHING we hunt takes time and MONEY!It is a feat to get it done, ALL the stars have to aline. Wish my folks had $$ to send me on a few hunts, But I won't take it away from the kids. I have been blessed to have done ALL of the above! With 7 Grand Slams, two Royal, and two World Slams under my belt! It dose take time and PLENTY of $$, but ya still have to pull triger, release arrow and make the kill not to mention have the game that you are after. ALL that said CONGRADS to ANYONE who can get it done!!

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Sure it takes money and a lot more of it today and time cost money as well. I was very fortunite myself with my father growing up being part of his crew that made legend in Beach Haven and got to do all those things my father did. This is what their dad did and the girls followed.

Yes they pulled the trigger but if they missed or screwed up the bird there were others chances or they could probably go back. They had what it takes to be set up.

When I did what I did when I was young was off my fathers laurels not my own and was off their fathers laurels as well.

To offten the shooter gets the credit when they were set up? Yes congratulations are in order for pulling a trigger and executing the shoot.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Guess we can't understand your disapproval?? When you say set up? Arn't most of us set up by being taught the how too's? Others are put in HOT spot tree stands found by friends. Fish are caught over spots others have fished? Keep in mind thare is NO sure thing when hunting. Heck I have missed many a birds that were set out ONLY minutes before we so called hunted them. So again my point, Congrads to them and ANYONE who get's the chance to do what they love so much, even if it was payed for and helped by others...:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts