New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that will be doing the bear hunt this year, what would be the smallest bear you would take (weight wise)?

I saw a 225LB. bear today while bowhunting, and I would past it up most likey, since I have 3 bears already, I think 250LBS and above I would take, but leaning towards 300LBS. and above is more like it.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
35whelan i feel the same way you do ,but it is fair game so we have to bite our tounges. it is the same as someone shooting a whitetail that would fit inside of an igloo cooler................[down]

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
When running control permits in other states. If the tag # matches the trouble bear no matter what the size, We take it. Smallest one we took was a 85 lb male cub. NY F&G put the hit on him after he kill two goats in a stall. The owner had a video set up to watch the goat going into labor. They had the bear with an ear tag on tape.

·
11,226 Posts
it is the same as someone shooting a whitetail that would fit inside of an igloo cooler................
Tasty meat on those youngsters....Easier drag too....For quality deer control you should remove animals of all ages.... I'm in it for the meat not the bragging rights... Best deer meat you'll ever eat is from that 6 month old deer.....There is nothing wrong with taking young animals for their meat!!!! Just my .02

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
On control permits bear is picked by a CO. We can't them. It's all for the hound work. The guys I run with all contract their time & dogs to the lodges during the kill seasons. They'll start in Canada & end in NC moving right down the coast.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I am not good at estimating weight on the hoof( or paw in this case)

My criteria is if the ears look small in relation to the head and/or if there is a droopy belly making the legs look short that bear is a shooter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On the last day of the 1st bear hunt, I took my bear to the check station in FLATBROOK, there was guy who was ahead of me with his bear that dressed out at 165LBS., then I went, my bear dressed out at 150LBS., then a lady was last, she leaned into the bed of the pick up truck, and with one arm pulled her bear out, it dressed out at 42LBS.[down] I said to myself "WHY SUCH A SMALL BEAR?" I asked her if she was either going to eat it, and or mount it? She said "NO, why would I want to eat a garbage eater, and I will not spend money to mount such a small bear, all I know is that I must be the only female to get a bear here in NJ"[mad] Very poor use of words by this female

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
by taking such small whitetails how many button bucks are shot, and really how much meat can you get off of a 50lb deer?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Gentleman we are all forgeting something here. The whole purpose of the hunt is to REDUCE the BEAR population in the state of NJ. All we need now is for the Anti's to start a propaganda about how NJ hunters are all TROPHY hunters. I have shot quite a few in Ontario, Canada. They are a very hard animal to judge on the hoof, I have shot bears that I would swear were 300 pounds and they turn out to be 175 pounds. We need to show Mr. Campbell that bear hunting is the way to control the bear population in the state. The only way to achieve this, is by reaching the goal that the DFW sets for those hunters that are going to participate in the hunt.
Have they finally approve it or is it still up in the air??? Tony

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Still up in the air, but they really have no choice but to have a bear hunt, too many problems this past summer

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
It still an election year. Who know what the new Gov.( or going Gov.) will do. They will promise the lobbyists anything for a vote. The most resistance to a hunt are the urban counties, where the votes are.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
It's anyone's guess what could happen. Campbell won't sign the policy until after the election. Corzine is against the hunt. Lautenberg is putting pressure on Campbell to call it off. Politics are interfering and NJ hunters are sitting on their a$$es and taking it.

·
11,226 Posts
by taking such small whitetails how many button bucks are shot, and really how much meat can you get off of a 50lb deer?
It's not the quantity of meat it's the quality! Best tasting meat in the world to me!!!
"HONOR THE GAME"
If the only thing important about hunting is what we can nail to the wall, then we're not really hunters and we bring little honor to ourselves or to what we hunt, or why...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I must agree with Jerseyjim to be a trophy its not what hangs on the wall.
I have 4 beautiful buck mounts on the wall, but I must say my own greatest personal acchievement would have been last yr.
Three weeks before the Fall bow season opened, I scouted out an area and set up a ground blind useing natural materials. On opening day the wind wasn't right so I stayed away. But That Mon. morning It was good and i went in it. I never hunted from a ground blind before. While sitting in the dark I had Mr Raccoon visit me mere 10 yds away, too close.
It was still getting light when this doe came up out of the marsh gr [no swearing please] and started milling towards me.I was getting nervous and she stopped straight on facing me at 8 yds doing the head bob. I had the bow up but not drawn and it was a 1 min stare off. Finnally the bow getting heavy i decided to try and draw. With that she spun and leaped out to 15 yds and stood BROADSIDE. I didn't hesitate and let my arrow fly, she dropped straight down and expired 25 sec. later.
With out a doubt my most exciting hunt and this deer only dressed out at 60 lbs. I use to think negative about others shooting young deer.But after this hunt, I seen it in a different way. Everybody has there version of a trophy and no one should knock him or her on what they see as a trophy.
No she doesn't hang on my wall with my other bucks, but that deer hunt is etched in my memory for ever and that is better then anything I've got to dust off!!
And yes people sitting on a bait pile and shooting every yearling that arrives(the first to arrive to baitpiles) then I am against you and your ways of hunting.

·
11,226 Posts
No she doesn't hang on my wall with my other bucks, but that deer hunt is etched in my memory for ever and that is better then anything I've got to dust off!!
Thats what it's all about to me also!!!! Great story and great post!![up][up]

·
Registered
545 Posts
I shot a bear in 2003 that dressed out 72 lbs and I can say it is very deceiving watching a bear run thru the woods. when i had him in the scope he looked like a decent bear but when i approached him he was a bit small- but either way it was a great hunt with a great friend of mine and I was very pleased with the harvest. We did eat the back straps and it was good!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts