New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a morning..At first light I watched a doe walk down a bridal path 50 yards away with a buck on her trail..fifteen minuts later a decent 6 pt came down the same trail..At 7:45 I had a doe come in and I made a clean kill at 15 yards, I watched her go down 50 yards away..I started to lower my bow and I saw 2 more doe coming in. so I stayed in my stand and over the next hour and a half, I watched another 6pt and a large 8 pt sparring. Then two more bucks a 7pt and a high fork horn come in and start to chase the two does around my stand. This made the 8 pt mad and he chased them off and then he bed down 35 yards from my stand and took a nap for 45 minutes..In the distance I could see bucks and does running around..Finally all the deer moved off and I picked up my doe..I am gonna grab a quick lunch and get back out there ..I will shoot that 8 pt, he is a nice typical around 115 class... I lost count this morning but there were at least 7 different bucks and 8 does.. :)

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Sounds like one heck of a morning. Congrats on the doe, and good luck getting that eight point.[up][up]

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Man, I need one of those days.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No shooter bucks this afternoon..Saw 4 small bucks and 3 does..The bucks were mostly 3 pt and spikes but they they were following those does like bloodhounds..as I pulled up my driveway tonight, there was a decent 7 pt bedded on the side of the driveway and slowly got up and walked up the center of my driveway while I slowly followed him with the high beams on..He didnt care....Still was a great day..Saw 11 bucks and 12 does and bagged my EAB doe.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
I still don't think the "RUT" is here, other then bucks are always in the when the velvet comes off. The DOE's haven't gone into heat yet.... That will be 7 to 21 days after the next full moon.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I agree. The Rut has different phases and this is not the Peak which is when all hell breaks loose.

I sat 4 hours this evening in a new piece of land I never hunted before. I didn't see one deer. I did see a large german shorthair dog cruise thru though[mad]

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont think it is the peak but they have started here. Typically Nov 8 in my area but in my 28 years of hunting I have seen it as early as end of Oct and as late as Nov 20. It is not one day or even one week. It can last as long as a month. I have seen primary rut last as late as Shotgun week and then the secondary rut in January. Right now we are in serious Pre-rut, which in my opinion is the best time to actually be afield. The bucks are searching for that Doe.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
They are in the chasing stage, and only the small bucks. I believe somewere between the 9 and the 12 of November. When you start seen those big boys chasing, then you know is not that far away.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I agree, pre-rut is here, just the little dudes chasing. Doesnt mean there is a big guy out there, I shoot my best deer between Nov. 5-15.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
that nice 8 pointer would not have bedded and took a nap if it was the full rut...my vote goes for the chasing stage, but still an awesome time to be in the woods, i hate sundays. then again its giving me a day to hang a new stand

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
The rut is not in full swing yet but today, around 10:30 AM, my buddy and i looked out his kitchen window and saw a really nice eight chasing two does around his backyard for a couple mins. He had his head down and was right on their tail. He was even lip curling trying to pick up the does scent. Really cool!![up]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts