New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out Monday with the young man I've been helping to mentor. He is a good kid. My buddy got him started last year and I helped him out some. This year I have kind of taken the lead with helping him to become a better waterfowler.

When we go out together I call the shots. I pretty always let him get first shot and sometimes I don't even shoot. I've been trying to make sure he gets birds to help him get hooked and to make some memories. There have definitely been a lot of birds I have missed out on trying to help him get birds.

Well we went out Monday morning for a few hours. The ducks were being somewhat cooperative to decoy. After a half a box of shells he had two mallards and after two shells I had one mallard. The kid looks at me and said "maybe we will get some more birds to come in so you can get two birds like me"

After I sat for a minute or so of thinking how if I was out by myself I would probably have at least a limit of mallards I decided to tell the kid to not get cocky. I then explained that if that is the way he feels then, game on.

I'm not really that upset. Just kind of surprised and kind of proud at the same time. Not that two birds is something to get cocky about but I remember a time many years ago when it was. All I know is the next time I get out with the kid it's time for somebody to get knocked down a notch or two.

Adaptation Tortoise

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Do it!:boxing8: Take the gloves off! but I bet if you just sit back and pick off the birds he misses, or the ones at the edge of the limits, you will feel much better about youself in the morning. Trust me I know how you feel.[wallmad] May teach him a thing or 2

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
Hey kids will be kids. Someday he'll remember what you have done and write about it on a hunting site. Besides if your wearing gloves then there's a reason why he's getting more. Hell even in Jan. I take the gloves off to squeeze the trigger.[patcheye] Ps. Kudos to you for being a mentor.

·
Registered
392 Posts
You may have misunderstood him as well.I wasn;t there but he may have meant that he hoped you got your share too and not realized that you were giving him first dibs.Either way,it's nice that you are pitting in the time with him.

·
Registered
713 Posts
This young mans comment shows a lot about his character. It sounds to me as though he is very humble and appreciative of you and wants you to have fun shooting some birds too. Thats just my take, but you're a great guy to mentor a young kid. Good for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I call him a kid but he is 20 years old. I don't really consider myself a mentor but I guess I kind of am.

My good friend and main hunting buddy was in the marines for 17 years. His good friend and fellow marine didn't make it back from Iraq 10 years ago. Well he had two sons. My buddy has been the real father figure and mentor to them. I have just kind of helped out with getting the older son into being a waterfowler.

He is willing to work on the blinds and boats in the off season, practices his calls and is trying to learn everything he can. He has come a long way in about a year and a half. He is going to be one hell of a waterfowler.

I really trying to make sure he has a good year this season. He decided to follow in his fathers wraps and has enlisted in the marines. He is finalizing everything now and should ship out early next year.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Next time, wipe him out! Tell him to respect his elders and get a good laugh between the two of you. Sounds like a fun partner and a perfect time to keep nuturing respect for you and the sport. Tell him how much you (as an old man) appreciate his help and how nice it is to have his help with the heavy stuff. Remember...the goal is to get the young ones to do all the lugging so you can just sit back and hunt!:wink: (Don't laugh..we all know respect of seniors is part of this)

Reactions: IPAIDMYDUES

·
Registered
908 Posts
Walk a mile in the young mans shoes then judge him. Shoot the birds he misses. I don't think he was taking a dig at you or realizes that you are allowing him to shoot first. Then turn it into who shoot their limit first. Have fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
317 Posts
Enjoy the spot light now buddy but he may be the one following up your missed birds when he gets out of the marines. Very noble thing you and ya buddy are doing for these kids, my dad passed when I was 15 so even though he may not show it trust me he appreciates what you are doing just like I did.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Don't worry guys I didn't take what he said too much to heart. I probably took it the wrong way anyway. Or maybe I'm just rubbing off on the kid. I'm a pretty big ball buster sometimes.

Now that he is getting birds on a somewhat consistent basis the hunting relationship can change. I actually think we will both enjoy our outings a little more. Plus it never hurts having someone to keep you on your toes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.