New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i met up with JerseyJim today for some trouting. we fished the musky in asbury. the water was really muddy. i lost a couple but Jim caught some. i was shut out there. we then went to spruce run creek and it was low but crystal clear. i caught 7 and lost a few. there is one swimming around with my panther martin hanging in his mouth. i was taking the spinner out of his mouth and he gave one more wiggle and i dropped it and the line broke with the spinner in his mouth. you can see him swimming around the hole now from the glare. Jim caught some there as well. i think it ended up as a tie. i had a blast today. Good guy and friend.[up]

·
11,226 Posts
I have to give the Panther Martin it's due...Woj was able to get fish out of tight cover better with the Panther... In the open water they seemed to be hitting my Rooster tail better... They both did thier jobs very well...As did the anglers..LOL..
It was great to get back in the water again...It was my first time out this year and it felt awesome to have a fish on the end of my line!!
We fished Woj's turf today and he is a great guide. Of course he kept all the good holes to himself!!:DJ/K
Thanks for a great day Woj...Right back at you with the Good guy and friend! [up]

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
The battle of the spinners!! Glad you guys got some fish. I'll have to show ya guys how to catch em' with minnows:p

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
You two got everyone "fired up" with the "original fishing challenge/kidding around", and got the attention of many others who wanted to join in, so it appears that the official "tie breaker" MUST be held at the August 20th "NEWJERSEYHUNTER.COM First Get Together" at Pequest WMA.

It's nice to see that both of you dusted off your rods and got a little practice in, but "somehow"
:D this challenge thing got bigger than just the two of you...[cool][up]

After having spoken with Woj Sunday night, and hearing that he had posted that he and JerseyJim had fished and completed "The Challenge", as it had become to be known, and that it ended in a "tie" was disheartening.

I am beginning to believe that Woj may be a little intimidated by my, and others fishing skills, and being that I've found a new "lure" that has outfished the Panther Martin about 10:1, I sense the "fear" in him, and can sympathize with this fear of being beaten BADLY in a fishing contest by any one of the rest of us on this site, but especially me!!!!:D:p

I declare that "The Challenge" is still on, and I hereby outright challenge (and "triple dawg dare"!!!) Woj and JerseyJim to not only the "The Challenge" with the rest of the members of this site who show up at the gathering, but to a "personal 'shoot out' to the end" between the three of us!!!!:D:p[cool][smirk][up]

The rules will be simple, as you both originally intended, with a few mods:

ONE LURE or FLY PATTERN (make,model,color, etc... must be the same - allowed to carry multiple sizes & weights of this "one pattern", only)

NO BAIT - Artificials, ONLY.

Buddy system fishing - Two fishermen at all times fishing together to verify the number of fish and size of fish caught, as Catch & Release is the rule of the day for "The Challenge".

LET THE GAMES BEGIN - GAME ON!!!![up][up][up][cool]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Woj & Jersey Jim,
I fished Spruce Run for the first time with a friend about 5 weeks ago. It rained all morning, and we had one of those "great days". I lost count of how many
I caught. I was using my fly rod which I'm a novice. Most were caught on bead head nymphs and a fly I bought at the local shop called an "unusual". In the afternoon, we went to Califon and fished the S. Branch. I hooked a huge one there, but lost it trying to "horse it"

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
iron,

it must have been tough fishing spruce run creek with a fly rod huh? not much room and all the small holes.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Iron City -

You're 100 % correct about Spruce Run Creek - All roll casts, but it is fishable w/ a fly rod.

Flashback Pheasant Tails and Flashback Hare's Ears with or without the bead head are the trick there when nymphing - I like using size 14 - 18 there!!!

I think I'm gonna convince Woj into trying out the fly fishing scene and show him how a fly fisher can open up a can of "Whoop a$$" on the fish with a fly in the after stocking season. :D:p[cool][up]

It'll make his Panther Martin fishing look completely obsolete - He'll probably break his rod in half after watching a fly fisher pull out fish 20:1 compared to his "Paaaaanther Marrrrrrtin!!!! :D:p[smirk]

Hey, did he refer you to that "old" picture in his gallery of that Tiger Trout he caught on the Panther Martin?!?!??!?!

He's shown everyone that pic about 1000 times on this site now and it's in about 100 fishing post responses that he's made!!!!!:D:p[smirk]

Wojt is my fishing hero!!!![up]

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I'm gonna convince Woj into trying out the fly fishing scene
What makes you think that i never fly fished? i used to all the time. i just haven't used the fly rod in sometime. but i'm all setup with it and i'm pretty good at it as well.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if you want to do some real trout fishing and get away from these stocked fish, i'll take you to Han [no swearing please] NY on the delaware both west and east branch for some killer fly action.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
BRING IT ON HOTSHOT!!!!

IT'LL BE REALLY SPECIAL WATCHING A BEGINNER/NOVICE WHOOP UP AN OL' PRO LIKE YOURSELF!!!!:D;):p[smirk][up]

I haven't been up in Hancock, NY since my canoeing days many years ago - Canoed the Delaware River from there down to brackish water...Those were the days!!! [up]

OH YEAH, I FORGOT - YOUR JUST KIDDIN' AROUND WITH ME 'CUZ YOU NEVER CAN GET OUT TO FISH ANYMORE WITH YOUR BUDDIES 'CUZ YOUR WIFE WON'T LET YOU!!!!!:D

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
maybe i'm just telling you that about my wife because maybe i don't want to go with you!

GOTCHA!!!

J/K big guy!:p

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
How about just wearing welding shields/helmets while he's casting anywhere within 40 yds. of you?!?!?!??
:D ;)

Or you could just carry a good diagonal cutter, needle nose pliers, some Bacitracin/Neosporin, and a needle w/lots of heavy thread (for stitches), and you'll make out just fine !!! :D

Oh yeah...I guess you should get your Tetanus shot before the venture...They're good for 10 years!!![smirk]

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what i need to do is replace my backing and flyline. it is old. i would need to get some new supplies to. i haven't kept up with my fly fishing stuff.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I DON'T BELIEVE IT!!![smirk] SEEING IS BELIEVING!!!![smirk]

Stop up and see Jim Holland and Bill Sell up at Shannon's Fly & Tackle Shop in Califon off of Rte. 513N. ( http://www.shannonsflytackle.com/Inside_Shannon's.htm )

Ask specifically for Bill and let him put the backing and line on and tie his nail knot / perfection loop combination on the end of the fly line for quick leader attachements.

Their prices are equal to if not better than Cabela's for line and rods/reels. Flies are a little steap in price. Try http://www.flyshack.com/ for $0.50 flies that are just as good as the $1.95 ones in all of the other shops!!!!

Also, this site has great hatch charts!!!![up][up]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts