New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone fished them. they look like nice water, especially the one right before cabelas. schykill? anyway i was thinking about floating it for maybe a mile or so this summer. hopefully it has some good small mouth and trout fishing.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
You have the schuykill and I believe the tulpehocken. The schuylkill is closer to cabelas. Don't know much about them other than their names.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
All of the rivers up there are pretty good.

I've fished the Little Schuylkill and the Tulpehocken, and done well at both...but pretty sure they rely heavily on stockings.

The Little Lehigh is also an excellent stream, gin clear with tremendous bug life...has both stocked and native fish.

The Big Lehigh is another that has some big fish in it, but can be difficult/dangerous to wade fish. A lot of guys float it, but I've done well there wading in various spots...just be careful, it can drop off quick just a short ways out from shore and the current can be pretty strong in some areas.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
The Big Lehigh is another that has some big fish in it, but can be difficult/dangerous to wade fish
Agreed, without a doubt keep a knife pinned to your fishing vest in case you have to cut your waders off.

Little Lehigh is fun but don't forget your "coffee bean beatles"

You guys should take a trip to the Lackawaxen. It's much more manageable then the large water and less crowded.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
You guys should take a trip to the Lackawaxen. It's much more manageable then the large water and less crowded.
Also a very good river! I fished that many years ago while camping, would go out midday and catch dinner for the night...very fun! [up]

Lots of lamprey eels in there and watch out for the snakes up high on the banks in the rocks...they'll jump right off and into the river below when someone walks up there! haha

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
The schuylkill is closer to cabelas. Don't know much about them other than their names.
That name has stuck in my mind since I was about 12-14. I remember reading about it being good fly fishing but thenagain that was eons ago. Hopefully the encroachment of man and developements hasn't ruined it to much.
reading the above post I guess it has.:(

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Excellent Iso hatch..

As for the Schuylkill, if you are targeting trout, you should focus on the Little Schuylkill..Head North on 61, Pass Cabelas and the road will soon follow the Little Schykll..Nice Pocket water...You may want to try the area around New Ringgold, PA..

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
You may want to try the area around New Ringgold, PA..
My parents have a house in New Ringgold, it's how I came to fish those areas as much as I did years ago. There is a fly shop right on 895 in the center of New Ringgold where 895 crosses the Little Schuylkill. They used to do winter stockings of trout and even some big ones, but that faded over the years. I think they still do it but not like they used to due to cost and locals poaching them out of there in areas that were C&R only or closed seasons. It is a nice stretch though with a little bit of everything, from pocket water to rip rap to a deep pools. The black stonefly hatch is decent there in late Winter and it's heavy with caddis through the spring. Last year I caught a few real nice rainbows in the downstream section...nice 16-17" fish and hefty football profiles...good time. [up]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.