New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realized this morning what a geek I am. I take my laptop into the woods to check my digital trail cam... I have a GPS device... I carry my cell phone... I hunt with walk-talkies ("Click. I have not seen crap. Have you? Click.).... and sometimes when I do not see a hair all day (hunting dark to dark) I sometimes check sport scores and news on web using my cell phone.

And yes... I admin this website.

·
3,413 Posts
I carry my cell phone... I hunt with walk-talkies
Me too. Cell phone is for saftey when I'm hunting alone. It is always on my person, not in a pack, incase I need it.

Walkie-talkies for when I'm hunting with my Pop. "Hey Pop don't you hear those deer coming up behind you?!?!" His hearing ain't what it used to be!

No laptop or GPS though, at least not yet.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
same here Drag. i always carry cell and when i'm with someone we use walkie talkies. but i do the same with the cell when i'm not seeing anything. i even have a Dell Axim running Pocket PC. i even took that once to keep me occupied by playing poker and stuff.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
I do carry a cell phone for the same reason as Bacs stated. And radios for when I'm hunting with pop.
Forget about him hearing deer, he can't hear me shoot and sometimes we hunt 100 yards apart.

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah... carrying in my laptop to check/download trail cam pictures was the breaking point of geekness.

Also, this year was the first time I hunted during the 6-day down in Mercer county... basically the walkie-talkies were pretty much worthless since I could hear everyone else talking on them in the area. I would try different channels... and guys were using just about every channel up to 21!

I would hear a shot... then listen on the walkie-talkies.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
on the wednesday of this past shotgun season, i was on my cell pretty much all afternoon in my stand. i had a server go down at work. my cell was ringing off the hook. i took off for the whole week. i would hang up from someone at work then my boss would call. so after awhile i hung up and then just looked behind me and 2 does were standing about 7 yards away. they didn't even hear me on the phone...lol i had a doe permit so BAM, down goes the doe. But it was so strange that they didn't hear me. Hunting and Working at the same time.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I just read an article about the use of walkie-talkies and hunting. Did you know TV personality Babe Winkman and his wife were both fined for using them will deer hunting. Game wardens are using them to catch hunters. You can communicate, but do say "He's coming your way." Back in the 80's the wardens used to ticket guy's for having radio's in the blind. I fought it because it was my marine radio that I used to hear what fish were being caught in the bay while I was hunting.

Till our trails cross,
Ryan

PS Law states; no use of electronic device while hunting deer, waterfowl,etc. Only fox, raccoon and crow.

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know that in PA they nail ya for "Hey Jim, here comes a deer." ... or... "I'm gonna go for a walk and push them to you.".

The above sentences "assist" in the taking of game. However, "Hey Jim, I'm lost." or "Man, my toes are freezing I'm heading home." are legal.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
PS Law states; no use of electronic device while hunting deer, waterfowl,etc. Only fox, raccoon and crow.
Actually, the law states "using electronic calling devices......"

Some states are much more restrictive than NJ. In CO for example, you cannot have any battery powered devices attached to your bow. This includes lighted sight pins and could even include a battery powered watch taped to your limbs.

BTW, I've used my laptop in my treestand and even dropped it out of my backpack from my climber.

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now I just need to find a hunting spot within range of someones unprotected Wifi network. ;)

Just kidding... the range on someone's personal Wifi network is about 300 ft. So... I would need a 450 ft. signature/permission.

Hmmm... thats a good technique. I walk around the woods with my laptop... if I pick up someone's Wifi signal... I'm too close! LOL :D

·
Registered
238 Posts
I always bring my cell phone. also have a Rino 120, GPS and walkie-talkie in one.

Next on the list is a rangefinder, and trail cam.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts