New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted up on the contest for our team. Deadeye adding 7 points for our team.
11/29/2011 Muzzleloader zone 23 before the rain. Unfortunaetely it poured as I did the field dressing job. At least it was not a freezing rain. Guessing he went 80-90 pounds. No scale at the butcher I am trying now. (Andrew Hartman). When I first had a shot he came right at me and proceeded to sniff right to the base of my tree. I did not want a frontal shot so I waited for him to get out 20 yards then fired. Heart shot but ran 100 yrds. Copper shockwave bullets. Any suggestions for something that expands a little better? Almost no blood trail.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
congrats. i hunt 23 as well. i'll be in there on monday.

as for bullets i use the t/c cheap shots. its an all lead hollow point. 240 grain. I use 80 grains of blackhorn behind it.
when i use jacketed bullets like yourself i had no expansion and they punch righht thru. I also put it right on there shoulder. too crowded in wharton for them to run too far. it usually knocks em down, they dont go far.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks LBI Surfrat - I'll work on that load next year. Before this shot a civil war replica all soft lead and 58 cal. But can't see the iron sight well for hunting low light so now using the TC triumph with a scope. I like your shoulder shot idea too. Hard to reprogram from archery shot aiming points.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.