New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Targets are fun to shoot, but I haven’t seen one grow horns or add meat to the freezer. Being prepared for the shot of a lifetime takes a different type of practice.

The basic idea is to do everything possible to simulate real hunting situations. My friends like to call me “Captain Obvious” when I say such things but most people just don’t do it.

Below are a few tips for more productive hunting practice. Most of these are from my bowhunting arsenal but they also apply to other weapons.

Wear hunting clothes and your harness. I’ve heard too many tales of bucks being lost to strings caught on bulky sleeves or the harness getting in the way of an awkward shot.

Setup practice stands and blinds similar to your real hunting placements. If you hunt in the woods you should practice shooting around trees. Likewise, if you’re in a wheat field ground blind, you need to avoid tall grass.

Bring a friend and take turns shooting. Your friend can move targets to random distances and situations while your eyes are closed. Once you get the all-clear, quickly assess and shoot. You need to be on autopilot in the field and repetition is the key.

Practice with hunting arrows and broadheads (and hunting loads for gun practice). Shooting my hunting setup casts away all doubt and adds confidence in the field.

Try to practice on days with varying weather conditions. Wind and rain don’t make practice more fun but it’s all about being prepared for what mother nature throws your way.

Add pressure to your practice. I like to make non-monetary wagers with my friends. For example, I REALLY don’t want to draft a hand written note confessing how superior Dikran’s hunting skills are! The fear of losing this bet turns up the heat, gets my adrenaline flowing, and makes me more prepared.

Keep practice sessions short. Limited practice opportunities can make us squeeze in too many shots. I’m a firm believer that 10 shots while you’re fresh is better than 100 when you’re tired.

(Exception to the previous tip): Finish every bow session by holding at full draw for an extended period of time. Let your muscles fatigue and then block out the pain to deliver an accurate shot. This is a skill you will need in the field sooner or later and I rarely see it practiced. Again, only do this once at the end of your practice. Repetitive shots when you are fatigued will lead to bad habits.

Please let me know if you have other practice tips for simulating real hunting conditions.

Live for the chase!

-Jeff French (Link)

Here is my personal best group as of yesterday. Not not the best but Im proud of it..I'm trying to cure a serious case of "Target Panic" that Ive had since last year. Im working on it!

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
nice group all kill shots! Me and my buddies usally bring 20 bucks in singles, and shoot for dollars, that makes it interesting as well!

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Dont forget shoot from the treestand.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Don't just shoot 10 20 and 30. Have a friend walk the block around to unmarked yardages so you can get better at judging middle distances.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Being that it's my first bow season coming up, I appreciate this kind of post. Thanks and will take all of the above into account.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
When its below 20 degrees and sitting for extended periods, I like to pull the bow back a few times to make sure Im not too stiff should opportunity arise.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
JKotys I also do this to stay limber. Great suggestion

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine too. Thanks for the post
No problem. Im always looking for articles like the one posted here because this will be my first full bow season also. Looking to get my first deer this season. Good luck to all of you. [up]

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Do 20 push ups or for this matter any exercise that's going to get your heart rate up, then shoot! We do this in the Polce Academy, and it really helps when the shooting counts!

Good Luck

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
We do similar practice sessions as well. We also practice shooting the bow while seated in your stand. Ya know for that buck that sneaks up on you from behind or head on where you are very limited on how much you can move with out getting caught. We bring out the decoys, one guy in the tree the other guy moving the decoy to simulate difficult shots.

Great Post Full Draw [up]

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Great advice. You wouldn't realize how important the first one is until you find out the hard way.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.