New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know where to post this but I figured I'd do it here. Well this is where it starts:

Today I took my dog along with me on a walk to a spot where there are a bunch of ducks hanging around. I figured I'd take some shots with my camera and see what I go.

This place is a County Park and there is NO HUNTING through out the whole thing. Opening day duck and on most weekends people are back there blasting away but I don't mind them. People bow hunt back there, again don't mind them. Tree stands all over, I let'em hang as well as some nice trail cams I've seen.[ninja]

After taken some shots I was walking out and all of a sudden my dog starts yelping. I look down and he got suck in a trap. I got down and took it off to find out he broke his leg. I had to carry him a good 1k yards back home and that was a pain. With frustration I yanked the trap out and it is sitting in my garage. I think the guy will get over losing a trap. If not I'll send him the bill from the vet with a thank you note.:D I don't mind people hunting back there but this was just taking it too far. [wallmad]

Sorry if I bored you, just had to let people know. And this is nothing towards trappers, I respect every one of you and thank you for keeping the fox and yote population down. Thanks

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
That's aweful! What county park? Nothing against the trapping guys, but I don't know if any County park that allows trapping![confused]

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I don't know of any legal trap that can break a dogs leg. Whatever trap it was it must either be illegal or illegally set. Legal traps wouldn't catch a dog/ much less injure one

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What county park?
Essex County.

I don't know of any legal trap that can break a dogs leg. Whatever trap it was it must either be illegal or illegally set. Legal traps wouldn't catch a dog/ much less injure one
I don't know squat about traps so I couldn't tell you if it was set illegally or not[confusedagain]

·
Registered
755 Posts
that sucks. i assume since it was a poacher, there is no name or ID # on the trap? hope your dog recovers quickly.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
I'm calling bs. Shinannigans. Nobody trapping in nj with traps that could break a bone. Snares where you could release a non target animal unharmed, maybe. But no leg holds. Lets see a picture of the dog please.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
If it was a legal trap it had to be a snare on land and have a trapper I d I would call a co show him whee it was there could be more that could hurt dogs or people

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Please post picture of the trap.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
The only traps that could do that are illegal in nj. and so if one of the illegal traps was the culprit, its a poacher, not a trapper.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
I'm not sure I'm believing this one. A pic with the dog and the trap in it (obviously not in the trap) would settle it.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Def. contact a CO about this because leghold traps are illegal in nj to possess, nevermind having them set.Definately post a picture of the trap and a pic of your dogs foot.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Keep us updated on this one........Would love to know if it was a water set or land set?????

After taken some shots I was walking out and all of a sudden my dog starts yelping.
in or out of the water???? & ID# Tag Yes or NO?????

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
O.k. !!!!
Lets nip this right in the Bud!!!!!
First off ! FOOTHOLD traps would not break a dogs leg unless it was a EXTREMELY large one that is used for Bears !
There is no way that a snare would do it either !

So...with that being said...I am guess that your dog MAY have gotten caught in a 330 Beaver trap, that was set flat in shallow water in an attempt to catch a beaver by the foot. and if that is the case. It was a legal set, provided the trapper had the right to be there.

Sorry to hear about your dog, hope he gets well soon. But before this thread gets out of hand. Or someone gets falsely accused. Lets see a pic of the trap...
If it was an illegal trap, the trapper should be reported to the local C.O. He is giveing trappers a bad name. On the other hand..If it was a legal set, You may get a summons for takeing the trap, So..post a pic so YOU don't get in trouble.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Sounds like alot of hunting activity for a place that is NO Hunting Allowed
If it is no hunting then it most definitly no trapping also unless its a site specific beaver problem
Should have reported trap to park rangers or F&G

1 - 20 of 56 Posts