New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you like take-down bows with a second set of limbs for different uses or just prefer separate bows altogether? Any pros or cons on swapping limbs?

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Are you talking recurve bows or T/D Longbows or something else like a long range set for your crossbow and another set for shooting from out of the truck window? Sorry if I seem behind the times.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Take down bows make it easier to travel with I found. Do you know how to tune your bow. I always had several strings shot in plus the set of limbs I traveled with always had a string wrapped around the set so I could just set quick if I needed to adjust. Its actually best to stay with one set especially when your on a specific hunt.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you talking recurve bows or T/D Longbows
Sorry, I meant recurves. I was thinking about getting a take-down recurve and ordering a second set of limbs for it. Hunting limbs and maybe lighter target limbs.

Andy, I see your work truck all the time along rt46.
Yeah, when work is slow I help myself to road kills along the highway. Gotta do what ya gotta do, know what I mean.;)

Do you know how to tune your bow.
Nope. The bow I've been using is borrowed from a buddy. He has another Black Widow one-piece he offered to sell me, a 60#'r which is a bit lighter than the one I used for the course. It was kinda a fluke that I ended up using a recurve and without sights to boot to begin with, but actually really liked it once I got the mojo thing going. And yes, I like the idea of a take-down for travel.

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Andy,
Thanks for the clarification on the bow you desire and forgive my coment about crossbows.

YES I love my T/D/ recurves and feel they are the only way to travel.
Yes there is an advantage to setting 2 sets of limbs like having a heavy set for warm weather or larger game like Elk etc. and a lighter set for cold weather shooting and lets face it for when you get old or have to deal with an injury.
When I fly to travel the bow and everything goes in the same duffle bag (Pre 9/11 I would take 2 bows with one as carry on)you can not tell I am a traveling hunter and I like it that way as it minimises my chance of dealing with animal rights nuts hunter haters and over zeelus cops who feel they need to "Deal with the guy who has a weapon".

As for tuning trad bows and their arows look in the trad section of this site and you will find good info on how to do it.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lets face it for when you get old or have to deal with an injury
I'm with ya on that note. I had some (18)carbon express arrows with feather vanes made up at Targeteers figuring I could get them re-fletched for a compound but have decided to buy a recurve and keep the arrows as is. They did a great job of measuring me and the bow to match the arrow specs. BTW, thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Little update: The bow my buddy offered to sell me is a take-down. I bought it.
Do tell more about the bow.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's a Black Widow MAII, 60#'s @ 30", 62" string. My draw is 28". Color is treebark greenish/gray (easy to lose) in great shape. Got some quality time in with it after dinner out in the yard. BTW, can't wait to pick up a 3D buck, the block is gettin' boring. I'd like to have some arrows made up with 5" feathers but want to wait until I decide whether or not to have the draw weight lightened up a little before I spend the money. I'll keep shooting, building up muscle and stamina in the meantime and then decide.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Andy,
If you are looking for limbs go to www.stickbow.com or www.tradgang.com The classified sections have some of the best deals you will find for longbows and recurves. The people are the best part. I have bought,sold and traded stick bows all over the U.S.A. and never once had a problem. Good luck with your widow.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info Pintail. I'm slowly cleaning out my toybox of dormant projects so I can rationalize buying new stuff. Would like to get my son setup for bow also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts