New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to hunt on foot (still hunt).

I recently had a discussion about bow-hunting with someone who claimed that the Eastern Whitetail could't be bagged while 'still hunting', espescially the NJ variety.

He believes that the treestand at least 18 feet up is the best way and the ground blind a distant second. He also mentioned that NJ whitetails are 'spookier' than any other state because of their proximity to people. I call BS.

I'm sure there are several bow-hunters in NJ that have bagged bucks or does while on foot.

So:

1) do you limit yourself to the trees?

2) afraid of heights - stay on foot?

3) do both?

B

·
0 Posts
I love to hunt from a treestand from 20/30 feet. To say a eatern whitetail can't be harvested with a bow while still hunting is BS, your friend has no idea what he's talking about. If I have to hunt off the ground I will, but for me I'm not comfortable on the ground so for me Im a tree climber[up]

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Treestand for me. I do believe you can sneak up on a Buck or Doe on the ground especially when then woods are thick.Just not my style of hunting.I killed a Doe about 10 years ago on my way out of the woods in PA. Also shot a nice 8 pointer in NJ the same way about 5 years ago.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
Taken a few on the ground with a gun.As far as bow, I snuck up on a few but they usually spook before getting a shot. Used the wrong pin on one, That hurt.
But mostly I hunt from above.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I almost aklways hunt from trees. The height of my stand depends on the spot. Preferably I like to be about 15-20 ft. but I do have stands as low as 10ft. feet in some very tight cover and as high as 30 ft. in open woods.

As for hunting from the ground, I did that for nearly an entire season a few years ago when i had a broken leg. Was pretty funny really, I had a sling around my bow so I could carry it into the woods while using my crutches and had a little folding seat attached to my fanny pack for easy transport.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
I always hunt from the trees. But, that's not to say that still hunting is not an effective way to hunt.

David

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
I Have shot plenty of deer from the ground.. I think your friend is way off.. I think its just the opposite. Deer are more used to people in NJ and dont spook as easily. My father calls them underwear deer. They hang out in wood lots and back yards of people with thier laundry hanging out.
Me personaly I think Jersey deer pick up movement alot better than maybe other areas. They are used to the smells of humans in Jersey.

·
3,413 Posts
Wva deer were the most skitish deer I've aver hunted to date. I hunt from a tree mostly, but don't mind taking a slow walk every once and awhile, especially when it's cold!

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I LOVE mixing it up. To me still-hunting/stalking, is the most exciting way to hunt deer, followed by a ground blind (natural, not a popup) then treestands. I try to do each type at least a few times during the year.

Ive become a pretty good ground hunter over the last few years. Taking six deer off the ground in recent years. Really learning to slow down and LOOK around helped me a LOT. I move quickly through areas that "suck" and move like a snail through the areas I expect to encounter the deer.

Ive also realized that making noise is basically unavoidable, so Ive learned to move like an animal. ruffling leaves like a squirrell or turkey really helps. Making soft turkey calls as you go...

Ive made stalks on deer and gotten within about 25 yards. Other stalks end there or further off, but end up with the deer moving even closer. I was within 5 yards of a six point I still hunted up on last year. He wasnt big enough so he walked, but it was very exciting. I mean we were EYELASH to EYELASH! My heart was pounding SO HARD! Simply awesome.

If any of you havent tried bowhunting on the ground, you have to try it at least once. NOTHING and I mean NOTHING compares to being eye level with a buck (or any deer for that matter).

(sorry about the long post, Im just very passionate about ground hunting...)[up]

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
I mostly hunt from a treestand, (10 to 15 feet) this year I'm going to try still, spot & stalk, ground blind. Have to try different things.... Hell I'm hunting with a Long Bow & Cedar Arrows this Year.

Let The Games Begain...........

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
If the situation is right you can stalk up on anything. My 10 year old stalked his first deer ever last year. Got to 12 yards before double lunging her.

·
Registered
942 Posts
With a bow I'm in my tree , I try not to chase the deer threw the wood's and stir thing's up , not to say that stalking doesn't work , I just want to be as quiet as possible ..Gun hunting is totally different ..Sometime's I'll sit sometime's I'll walk ..I like the fact that if I see a deer at 50 yards away walking threw thick brush , I can knock them down ... [up]

·
Registered
282 Posts
depends on the weather. if its dry and the leaves are like potato chips than im posted, i do ground blinds and tree stands but if its raining IM ON THE GROUND!!one of the best things i bought is the bino buddy and a good set of binocs.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Ground blinds and still hunting can be very effective in certain situations. I remember a hunt a few years ago during the rut. My friends father had just put down a buck. we field dressed it and were dragging the buck out through an overgrown field that we have to go through to get to our stands. On the way out we heard a deer crash through the brush ahead of us and then stop after only a few yards. We moved forward to a 15 yard opening and set up. We could see three different bucks through the brush feeding. The largest was a big eight who was bedded down with a doe. My friends father started to grunt at the deer and they became very interested making their way to the opening. Well to make along story short the smaller eight made his way into the opening and didnt go far after that. I was totally in the open when I shot and I drew when the buck was still a few feet from the opening. You can definately harvest deer from the ground. It just takes patience and good secent control.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Greats responses!

Interesting to see when some choose to stalk vs tree.

I agree that when the leaves have fallen its probly not a good time to do it. Right now the leaves are just beginning to turn, the morning dew will have softened the earth for subtle foot work.

Good post Matty!

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
mostly in the tree's but i do stalk. I mostly at Pequest in the cedars along 46 and the river.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I mostly hunt from a treestand, (10 to 15 feet) this year I'm going to try still, spot & stalk, ground blind. Have to try different things.... Hell I'm hunting with a Long Bow & Cedar Arrows this Year.
MG - while I was in Texas I kept thinking that a longbow or recurve would have been to my advantage during the stalk. Carrying a compound prior to setting up the shot is a lot of weight. After an hour or two hour stalk arm fatigue was a problem.

I'm looking at getting a long or recurve in the near future.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am mostly in the trees BUT I am going to try stalking this year.

Any pointers Matty and others that do it?

How fast are you actually walking?

Do you walk slowly after making visual contact or overall walk like three steps look around etc.?

RW3

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
While I've never tried still hunting, I've been told that you take a step every 30 seconds to a minute. Any faster and you are going way too fast.

With all this talk about being on the ground, I may just have to try it one day this year.

David

1 - 20 of 22 Posts