New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting new line on the surf reels do you guys use mono as a backing than load up your reel w/ 150yds of braid. Or do you use all braid on the spool.

Not talking big fish here stripers, fluke off the beach.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Backing does more than stop the line from spooling, it takes up space. Braid is very thin and it will take a lot of expensive line to fill the reel to it's sweet spot. You want your line in the outer/upper half of the reel. 150 yards of braid wouldn't come close to filling a surf reel and there is no reason to waste money on expensive line just to fill the reel. Fill the reel about halfway with a similar pound test mono than finish with the braid. Make sure the knot is solid just in case and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Not talking big fish here stripers, fluke off the beach.
Just spool it with 10-12 lb mono and with the money saved get 20-25 lb fluoro for your rigs

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Just cheap or old 30-50lb test mono as a backing, then fill out the spool with the braid.

For light work (fluke and average stripers) from the beach, I have found and really come to love 20# Fireline Fused Crystal, I have tried and HATED Spiderwire, it unraveled and frayed and snapped too easy, even before fishing it through a season. Fireline, pricewise isnt too expensive, and I can get a couple seasons out of it. What you can do is reverse it onto the spool, because rarely will you get to the backing end, and this isnt exposed to the sun so its still "fresh".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.