New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm spending a couple days in Point Pleasant this weekend, and was toying with the idea of trying to fish the surf. Trouble is, I know NOTHING about it, lol. I do a little bass fishing in my lake, and actually catch some sometimes. My $20 rod and reel are ruined (I think, the reel doesn't spin freely any more) from sitting in my truck utility box over the winter. So, I will be getting a new reel at least for fishing the lake here anyway. My questions:
1. Can I buy a rod/reel combo that will be suitable for the lake and the surf? I'd like to keep the rod @ 6' or under.
2. What would I need for surf in the way of line (what lb. test), weights, hooks, bait (clams?) etc.
3. Is Point Pleasant a decent spot to fish?
4. Would I be able to catch anything edible?
Thanks for any input; it's obvious from the pics that many of you know what you are doing. [up]

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
For bait you will need a 10-12ft heavy action rod and reel to match. High- low rigs or fish finder rigs and an assortment of sinkers 4oz and up. a sand spike is also a help if you dont want to hold the rod all the time.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
You really do need a long rod as BH44 said. The rod must be also rated for casting a heavy sinker. Unless you go to a place that specialzes in surf fishing equipment (see link below) it is difficult to find a rod rated for more than 6 oz. 6 oz is not always enough to hold bottom in the surf.

Bear in mind you will want to use pyrimid sinkers that dig into the sand to help hold bottom. There are conventional pyrimid sinkers and there are what they call Cape Hattaras sinkers with a wierd shape that supposedly burries in the sand better. There are also Sputnik sinkers that have a teardrop shape and wires sticking out to hold the bottem

Bear in mind that when you cast in the surf you use a pendulum cast to get the distance. This is quite different from the cast you would use in fresh water or from a boat. When doing that you need a shock leader double the length of the rod and then some. The pendulum cast puts a tremendous amount of centrifugal force on the line so the shock leader must be 10lb test for every oz of sinker weight. Foe example if you are casting a 6oz sinker you need a 60lb test shock leader. Without this your line can snap mid cast sending the sinker flying off in an uncontroled direction possibly hitting someone or someone's property. This could be especially serious since the pyrimid shaped surf fishing sinkers have sharp corners in addition to the weight.

Attached are some links explaining the penduluum cast and how to attach the shock leader. I don't recommend the knot they show because the knot on the end of the leader could damage the rod guides going through. On my set up I have a 60lb mono shock leader attached to 40# test spider wire. I use a nail not with triple the number of wraps you would use on fly line then I put a few drops of Crazy glue on the knot.

I go smaller on what I call my plugging rod. That is 9ft and only rated for 2oz I have 20lb test mono on it. Most of the plugs I have are 2 oz. If the current isn't strong or if I want to drift bait from the jetty I use it for that with a 2 oz sinker.

http://www.fishermansheadquarters.com

http://www.fishermansheadquarters.com/fishfacts/ffpendulumcast.html?zoom_highlight=shock+leader

http://www.fishermansheadquarters.com/fishfacts/ffactshockleader.html?zoom_highlight=shock+leader

·
Registered
325 Posts
$200 should get you set up with a decent combo surf rod and reel then some lures, rigs, and sinkers. Oh bait too.

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
If your in PP fish the inlet either along the parking lot or from the jetty. A medium action 7' rod should do you with a reel with 12-17 lb test. You don't need to cast far as the fish tend to hug the edges. If your going to cast from the beach I would go with nothing shorter than 8'. Then again, you use what you have. Good luck.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, what a wealth of info! Thanks all. I believe I'll learn all I can from what's posted, and elsewhere, and give it a try at a later date. I only make it to the shore once or twice a year, so it's not worth it to scramble to learn it all and get everything I need for this trip. Thanks again, and if I'm successful in the future, I'll post pics. :)[up]

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
My two best rods are St. Croix 7'6 medium action for light plugging and a St. Croix 9' medium action rod for bait. I use a Okuma AR50 with 12# test for plugging and a Shimano Baitrunner 4500 with 17# test for fishing bait.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, now I think I may be hooked, lol. I ran into a couple, a man and woman, who are experienced surf fishers. I definitely want to try it now. I'll check out the St. Croix rods, and the reels. They were using clams for bait, are there lures that work also? And how is sea bass for eating? I've heard good things, and I'm a (semi-) skilled cook. Anything else I could catch?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
You only need a setup of a pole around 9 or 10 feet. Clams are working very well right now, but throwing plugs is working pretty well too. Any of the bomber plugs work really well. My favorite is called the "school bus". It's a yellow plug with a black top. Key is...hope that the baitfish come in close enough cause then you will have a ton of fun. Last thing is, I wouldn't think of fishing for stripers ever again without braided line. Good luck out there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts