New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday morning I had a very small window to go out and enjoy a quick hunt. My 8 year old daughter talked me into letting her come out which threw my plan out of whack since now I would have to hunt a ground blind instead of a stand. It's ok because she is very quiet and still. We setup on the edge of one of the biggest bait piles you've ever seen...about a 150-200 acre bean field. We got there a little late and were setup at 6:45. Around 7:15 a few mature does are 20 yards in front of us and I'm picking out the one I want to take. Just then my daughter nudges me and motions with her eyes for me to look out to the left...I do and there's a decent 5 ptr coming. I whisper that I want to let him go and take a doe. Well that's when the face that could melt an iceberg came out and she whispered, "ok daddy". Hmmmmm, how many chances in life will I get like this? Hmmmm, I want to save my buck tag for something bigger...BUT I love my daughter more. None of the deer are sensing us and the buck gets to 18 yards and ever so slightly quartering away. I draw undetected and let the arrow fly. The arrow finds the bread basket!!! He jumped straight up, went about 15 yards, stood still for about 3-5 seconds and fell over. What a morning...this kid was so excited!!! She jumped up and let out a big "you got 'em daddy!!!" She asked if we could take him to Ely's and get snack sticks made (how could I argue with that?)

I'll post the pics first and then I'll post the pics of the entry wound. I was using a Rage 2 blade and it must have opened in flight...the entry wound is way to big to not have. I got a complete pass through so I'm happy. I don't want this thread to become a Rage debate...just letting you guys (and gals) know what happened.

ENTRY WOUND...

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Sounds like the perfect hunt and you picked the perfect deer out of the bunch to shoot. Congratulations on not only the buck, but the memories that you and your daughter will treasure for a lifetime [up][up][up]

·
Banned
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone...

I agree Ms Grit. I only have to wait a month get another buck tag and I may NEVER get the opportunity again that I got with Ashley yesterday. You just never know...[up]

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Guy on archerytalk just did an extensive test with the rage 2 blade. He shot them open and loose with no o ring out to 40 yards. They hit witin 1.5 inches of where he was aiming everytime. I think this put to rest the it must of opened I het 9 inches back and confirms most of the time it is pilot error.
Nice buck and that is the entry hole that they make. I have been using them for 3 years now.[up]

·
Banned
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bowman,

I agree...I've used them for 3 years now. My point was if it did open in flight, it still made a tremendous hole, I got a pass through, and the deer expired VERY fast. I'm not saying that ONLY a Rage could have done this, only that it perfomed well.

I personally don't think it matters much if they open in flight...is it any different than a fixed head at that point?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Rages actually open on point of contact if am I right? I been shooting rage 3 blade since they started making them and shot over dozen deer with them and my entry holes are always about 2inches. As far as pilot error I always wondered if its possible for arrow to go off course if only one of blades pop open during flight? Congrats on the buck[up]

·
Banned
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rages actually open on point of contact if am I right?
No that's absolutely correct. I just never saw that big of an entry hole. But when I think about it, maybe it peformed just like it should have and didn't open in flight. Maybe because it was quartering away a little, it made the entry hole that much bigger. The other great thing was no type of deflection on a quartering shot that a lot of people complain about.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts