New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am NOT asking this question to stir up trouble. Please do NOT turn this thread into a crossbow bash-fest. Read this WHOLE thing before responding.

I am honestly trying to understand the logic behind some arguements on crossbows and Sunday hunting.

And, let's just clear the air right off the bat. I am NOT a crossbow hunter (don't want to), NOR am I a Sunday hunter (that's my day of Sabbath rest, and family day). I hunt on Saturdays here and there, and try for one afternoon a week after work. I am a venison hunter, not a trophy rack hunter. So that's all in the open.

Some people who are against crossbows have given the reason that allowing crossbows will open the floodgates of hunters in the woods, and will result in too many deer being taken. OK, stay with me here.

Some of the SAME people have argued for Sunday hunting, celebrated when it was passed, and talk about how they are going to now be able to go out hunting a lot more on weekends. Sooooo......

Crossbows are bad because more people will be hunting, resulting in more deer being killed BUT Sunday hunting is good because more people can spend more time hunting, resulting in more deer being killed. Don't kill me yet...

I'm just trying to reconcile the fact that the two topics have the same arguement, but in one case it's bad, and the other, it's good. Keep reading...

Case in point...in one recent thread, someone remarked that when they checked in a deer on Sunday afternoon, and where there usually were "10-12 deer on opening day, they had 60 already by SUnday afternoon", and the inference was made that it was because of crossbows. Well, the question I have is, couldn't a lot of those deer have been harvested with a compound on Sunday???

It just doesn't make sense to me. PLEASE explain this to me, but don't explain it by calling me names and bashing crossbows.

I'm polarbear and I approve this message...

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I wanted to ask this same question the other day. You have bigger you know what then I for this post [hihi]

My honest answer is you will see more deer kill numbers with the sunday Bow Hunting.

I am not a Xbow hunter or will I be. I just think more hunters will be able to hunt more.

EDIT:

I should change my wording around. You will not see more kills on sunday alone. What I mean is Sunday will not have more kills then 7 days a week with the Xbow. I think percentage wise you will see more with sunday hunting.

If you go back to a post where someone here asked how many will hunt with a Xbow most said they would not. I know NJH/com is a real small % of NJ hunters but that should give us kind of an idea.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
I am NOT asking this question to stir up trouble.
youre definately asking this to stir up trouble...why else would start a thread with this topic of discussion? your days are numbered here troublemaker! [rofl]

Play nice everyone(yeah i know, absolutely impossible)[rofl]

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
*CLICK* I'm ready:D Nice point bud[up]

·
Banned
4,539 Posts
It's all good. More hunters, more opportunities, clean kills, whats not to like?

I think we need a SEVEN day shotgun season.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
i dont think crossbows or sunday hunting is bad. i would take advantage of sunday hunting, but i own a compound bow. I think people being afraid of the "overwhelming" amount of hunters entering the woods now that crossbow is approved is a little ridiculous for this fact. Hunter participation has dropped significantly over the last 20 years. If crossbows are wildly sucessful, you still wont have the same number of total bowhunters as you did years ago. Most people want to have the woods to themselves, but it isn't my/your woods, its every hunters woods. i get pissed when someone walks in on my stand, but its jersey. With less total hunters, our voice is smaller, and corzinesque d-bags dont take our rights as seriously. So a few more participants to give us a better voice to protect our sport is good.
Sunday hunt also contributes to more participating hunters. I hunt WMA, and i do expect the sunday woods to be crowded. But i can hunt during the week, which some can not, so they can have the woods on sunday, I'll take mon-fri.

Its all about getting more participants and growing our voice. And, there are more deer than ever.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
youre definately asking this to stir up trouble...why else would start a thread with this topic of discussion? your days are numbered here troublemaker!
well, you know what I mean...I'm asking the question to get some real answers, not JUST to see people yell at each other. [hihi]

If I wanted to start a REAL arguement, I'd ask who has better hair, you or Sam...

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
Blah Blah Blah more bs

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
I agree most say with Sunday hunting the result will be more deer taken and then consider would the Sun. kill have been on Sat. prior to the Sun. hunting.
I don't think it matters Xbow vs compound is there an answer who knows and I have no time to spend thinking about it.
I'll be busy on Sunday hunting with my new Ten Point Xbow.[rofl][rofl]

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Just go hunt when you can and with whatever instrument you choose, provided it is legal for that particular season.

·
Registered
12,826 Posts
i'll bite i dont care who kills a deer with a crossbow but to me its not archery, so there is no more archery season as far as im concerned..some think anti crossbowers are greedy but most of us KNOW they are a superior weapon to the longbow recurve and compound..if you kill a deer with a crossbow during archery season i give you no credit its too easy...no drawback in the presence of game just point and shoot...hmmmmmm sounds like a GUN to me...at this point who cares kill em all. why not have unlimited bucks? why not have a fawn only season for the first 2 weeks....pssssst i heard through the grapevine the federation has asked the council to look into a gatlin gun season in between muzzy and 6 day firearm "it used to be buck week" remember that aaaaaaaaaaaaah

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Case in point...in one recent thread, someone remarked that when they checked in a deer on Sunday afternoon, and where there usually were "10-12 deer on opening day, they had 60 already by SUnday afternoon", and the inference was made that it was because of crossbows. Well, the question I have is, couldn't a lot of those deer have been harvested with a compound on Sunday???
If there are that many more deer being harvested it is because more hunters are baiting. I don't think it is because of xbows or Sunday hunting.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
I think we need a SEVEN day shotgun season
I'm in agreement. We should have all seven days to hunt just like the neighboring state north of us.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Can someone tell me how all the deer are going to be killed because of the dreaded cross bow? Are you all the ones who thought the in-line muzzleloader would have done that very thing? But now you look in your gun cabinet grab your in-line and head out every muzzleloader season without a second thought. maybe
you should go out and get that flintlock if you can find one and get back to your reallity the traditional hunting. O and the wood stick I love to shoot. not that 65 to 80 something percent let offbow we all have. damn pulling back 70 lbs 6inches and only holding maybe 10 lbs for like an hour is some hard stuff. Stop all your damn crying. Bitching
about someone trying to cleanly harvest a deer.Damn the very thought of it.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts