New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below are snippets of emails I have received regarding the horseback riders attemtps to have the Sunday Bow bill vetoed. I have also added a few links to forums that will provide an idea as to the sentiments of some of the horseback riding community. The sense of entitlement and the degreee of prejudice against hunters is eye-opening.

I have called the Governor's office scores of times and have not been instructed to "FAX" him as a means of getting greater attention for my support of Sunday Bow. However, the horseback riders have been given advice to fax him. I have included a letter (at the very bottom of this email) that should be fax'd to the Governor. Let's be sure to fax the letter to him!
Ant

===================================================================
Forum: http://www.avta.net/

Forum: http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=170943

Forum: http://www.horsecents.org/online/viewforum.php?f=31

When I called the Governor's office today "THEY" suggested that I fax them. I made the suggestion that the Governor "conditionally veto" these hunting on Sunday bills. If he were to outright "veto" them, they have a majority vote in the Senate and they will just overturn them. If he conditionally vetos them, he can made suggested changes in them, and we'd have a chance to have them pass.

The Governor's fax number is: 609-292-3454

My neighbor told me she read an article on April 1st in the Asbury Park Press written by a hunter (Charles A. Sylvester, Neptune City) who stated: "the wildlife management areas are bought and paid for by the hunters." I immediately questioned his statement for I knew that was an out and out lie and decided to do a little research.

==========================================================================

Don't forget to call:
Governor Corzine's Office: 609-292-6000
Fax Governor Corzine: 609-292-3454
Write your local newspapers. Tell them why you oppose this bill.

Keep fighting! We have too much to lose if you don't.
===================================================================

**** Fax the Governor 609-292-3454

The Honorable Jon S. Corzine

Governor, State of New Jersey
Office of the Governor
PO Box 001
Trenton, NJ 08625

Re: Bill A1669 / S802

Sunday Bow Hunting

Dear Governor Corzine:

The above legislation now awaits your signature and its passage is extremely important to me. As a conservationist I am committed to responsible stewardship of our state’s natural resources and Sunday Bow Hunting helps in this endeavor.

The bill will ensure better manage New Jersey’s deer overpopulation. Every lifeless roadside deer is the result of a car accident, an accident that caused financial loss and perhaps personal injury or death.

The bill will help reduce agriculture losses due to deer feeding currently estimated to be 20% per year, reduce residential landscape damage and the transmission of Lyme disease. Sunday bow hunting will help to boost New Jersey’s hunting license revenue, aid the state’s ailing economy by drawing non-resident dollars, repeal an antiquated blue law and bring New Jersey in line with 43 states that currently allow bow hunting on Sundays.

The bill restricts bow hunting to private property and Wildlife Management Areas only. WMAs were originally purchased entirely from the sale of hunting and fishing licenses and operational funding is still provided entirely by hunters and anglers. Sunday bow only amounts to 14 days per year but is of great value to people currently obligated to family and work responsibilities.

Governor Corzine, I am one of 650,000 New Jerseyans who hunt, fish and vote. I ask that you sign the Sunday Bow hunting bill into law.

Sincerely,

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I immediately questioned his statement for I knew that was an out and out lie and decided to do a little research.
I wonder what they came up with after they did their research [confused] Guess that won't be published!!

Will fax from work tomorrow [up] Thanks!

·
Premium Member
14,376 Posts
I wonder what they came up with after they did their research Guess that won't be published!!
That about 34% of the WMA's were purchased with $ from the "Hunter and Angler funds but 100% of the upkeeps comes from that fund watch and see half of this come to light.
Perhaps another letter to the editor correcting Charlies letter is in order as I am sure if someone else does it for us only half of the story will come to light since our side neven gets any slack.
Do not get me wrong his letter was a GREAT one just not 100% perfect.

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
Whenever I spend countless Sundays picking up trash and broken glass off the roadways of the local WMA's with my crew , the horseback people care so much about the WMA that they just keep riding by without offering to lend a hand. And a few hours later, alot their kid's ride thier dirtbikes through the place leaving trash in thier wake and littering it up again. I know because I have witnessed it firsthand and watched as F&G officers chased them back to thier farms. They use,use,use without giving back.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I agree that FAX'ing is a powerful way to communicate with elected officials .... almost as a written letter.

It is because a FAX should have some formality to it in structure, similar to a letter .... or properly, an actual copy of a well written letter. It shows more effort than a phone call or an email. I always send a "confirming" letter through the snailmail.

Of course, it does now get abused by some ... who treat it as another form of email.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
That about 34% of the WMA's were purchased with $ from the "Hunter and Angler funds
What about the other 66%? Basically, what do the horse owners pay??? I assume the only money WMA gets is from the few that actually purchase permits.

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
I assume the only money WMA gets is from the few that actually purchase permits.
Like i said, their arrogance and sense of entitlement knows no bounds!
And that brings up the other issue. The lady on horse back who we all called the game warden on for not having a permit said she didnt need one "because I live next door[to the WMA] and ride here all the time and own 42 acres down the block"!!!! So what the F--- does that mean, I dont need a hunting license because I live nearby and hunt here all the time !!!

And the only reason we called the law on her in the first place was because she told her kid on the other horse " look at those asshole hunters putting up thier stands" in which my buddy replied " here's my hunting license, I have a right to be here, where's your riding permit" ? Then she went off on her tangient and I later found out that she called the local politician complaining abouit the ticket the game warden wrote her for riding without a permit because she felt she didnt need one because she pays taxes and lives there nearby. Total arrogance ! Stupid C--t B--ch.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
The lady on horse back who we all called the game warden on for not having a permit said she didnt need one "because I live next door[to the WMA] and ride here all the time
Man you have to love this mind set! When we bought our house (it was new construction) we had big problems with local tresspassers. They all had the same mentality, "well we hunted here for years so we figured it was ok" WTF??? People percieve things the way they want when it works for them!! Ignorance is no excuse for braking the law [down][down][down]

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
...there are more than 324,000 acres in 120 wildlife management areas, and new properties and additions to existing properties are continually being added. This acreage represents more than 44% of New Jersey's state-owned public open space.

Initially, the purchase of lands for the Wildlife Management Area System was funded entirely from the sale of hunting and fishing licenses. In 1961, the first of several Green Acres bond issues was approved, enabling the general public to participate in the development of the system. Approximately half of the present system was purchased through the Green Acres bond issues. Operational funding is provided entirely by hunters and anglers. Capital projects such as boat ramps, dams and parking lots are usually funded through combinations of Federal Aid (funds from excise taxes on sporting equipment), Green Acres and General Fund Capital appropriations.

Through the years, particularly with the infusion of Green Acres monies since 1961, the mission of the Wildlife Management Area System gradually broadened from "Public Shooting and Fishing Grounds" to areas where fish and wildlife habitat is protected and enhanced, while providing a variety of compatible recreational and educational opportunities.

The number of people in search of wildlife-oriented recreational opportunities has grown significantly in the last 35 years as shown by the National Survey of Fishing, Hunting and Wildlife-Associated Recreation, conducted every five years by the US Fish and Wildlife Service. In New Jersey, the 2001 National Survey found that 135,000 people hunted, 806,000 people fished, and more than 2,328,000 people participated in other wildlife-oriented recreational activities (bird feeding, wildlife observation, photography, etc.). The survey includes only people 16 years of age and older.

While demand continues to increase, the overall amount of land available for the pursuit of wildlife-oriented recreation is declining. New Jersey loses roughly 45-sq. mi. of wildlife habitat to development every year. In view of this reality, acquiring and managing Wildlife Management Areas is an important part of management programs conducted by the Division to provide for the public's wildlife-related recreation.

The above info was sent to me.

Ant

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From Sept. 08 Bureau of Law Enforcement monthly report.

"Officer Mutone stopped to inspect a horseback rider on the Colliers Mills Wildlife Management Area. When confronted, the rider informed the officer that she had left her horseback riding permit in her vehicle. The officer then followed the rider back to her vehicle where she spent time searching for the permit. When the rider couldn't find the permit, she then told the officer that she must have left it at home. After further questioning, the subject finally admitted that she had never purchased a permit. When Officer Mutone informed her that she was in violation, the woman became enraged, used abusive language, and then gave the officer an offensive gesture. As Officer Mutone was gathering information, the woman got into her vehicle, drove across a field and proceeded to drive away. Officer Mutone then pulled the driver over and asked to see her driver’s license and other credentials. Unfortunately, the driver could not produce the necessary documents. In conclusion, the diver was issued summonses for: no horseback riding permit; operating a motor vehicle off the established roadway and failure to produce the required motor vehicle documents."

·
Registered
9,486 Posts
I wonder if the horseback riders and bird watchers know without hunting in NJ there prime places to ride and watch (WMAs) would not exist. According to Jakesbeard the money from hunters bought 34% and 100% of the up keep comes from that fund. They may not like us, but if they wanna keep riding and enjoying nature they DO need us. PERIOD.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Will Monday be 3 weeks or 4 since passage?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
i wonder what % of the tax payers of the state are a current or former fisherman or hunter. so to me this means that those tax payers in that catagory funded the green acres to allow the purchase of the lands on top of the funds from fees of permits and licenses.so technically most of us paid twice. its time for hikers, mountain bikers,horseback riders, to pay there share on Wma-s if they want to use them as we do dont ya think. .

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Please note that the purpose for my many emails regarding the Bow Bills is to alert us about the response of horseback riders and animal rights and their degree of opposition to the bills. These are valuable insights that should be a clarion call for us to keep vigilant regarding our angling and hunting freedoms and for us to be politically involved in contacting our legislators.

In addition to the pablum that is being advanced by the animal rights crowd (HSUS, PETA, NJARA and Sierra) I have also included an email (below) that was publicly posted on an internet forum by a person employed by the Agriculture Department. Please note that the employee does not necessarily reflect the position of the Agriculture Department. However, it is important to note that we must continue to call and write the Governor - regardless of whether we are bow hunters. Unity has been key to our recent successes and it will be critical to our future successes. The next bill we will be fighting for is to have commercial traps removed from the reefs and to enact the Hooked on Fishing not on Drugs program.

Remember, all for one and one for all.

Below is the email from an employee of the Ag. Department that was publicly posted on a Horseback riders internet forum. You may judge the intent of the email yourselves.

The important point is that we contact the Governor and ask the Sunday Bow be signed into law.

Ant

http://www.horsecents.org/online/viewtopic.php?t=676&highlight=hunting

Date: October 10, 2008 8:40:54 AM EDT
Subject: Sunday bow hunting

Greetings Everyone,

This might be of interest to countless horse people in the state….

New Jersey Pro-Hunting Legislation Moves to Senate Floor!

Monday, October 06, 2008

Two important pro-hunting bills were heard and passed by the New Jersey Senate Environment Committee on Monday, October 6.

S802, sponsored by State Senators Stephen M. Sweeney (D-3) and Kevin J. O’Toole (R-40), was passed by a 5-1 vote. Simply put, S802 authorizes deer hunting with bow and arrows on Sundays.

The second bill, S976, was approved by a 6-0 margin. S976 reduces the distance from 450 feet to 150 feet of an occupied building for a person possessing a nocked arrow for the purpose of hunting.

S802 and S976 now make their way to the Senate floor for its consideration.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=4202&issue=

Debra L. Moscatiello

Technical Assistant, Agriculture

609-984-4389

Fax: 609-984-8265

·
Registered
25 Posts
I dont want to sound like a jerk here.One of the problems with sunday bow is that though there are alot of hunters in jersey who use a bow there are more that are gun hunters.I myself am a gun hunter.Why should one group get the right to hunt sundays and others not.Alot of gun hunters feel this way and arent going to bother supporting something that doesnt benifit them.Also sunday is a good day to scout or check on an area you previously scouted without worrying about scaring some poor hunters deer or whatever off that he has sat in his stand and tried to coax over for the last 3 hours or having to worry about some overzealous person hearing a russle in the bushes and shooting only to find out the russle is you.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I dont want to sound like a jerk here.One of the problems with sunday bow is that though there are alot of hunters in jersey who use a bow there are more that are gun hunters.I myself am a gun hunter.Why should one group get the right to hunt sundays and others not.Alot of gun hunters feel this way and arent going to bother supporting something that doesnt benifit them.Also sunday is a good day to scout or check on an area you previously scouted without worrying about scaring some poor hunters deer or whatever off that he has sat in his stand and tried to coax over for the last 3 hours or having to worry about some overzealous person hearing a russle in the bushes and shooting only to find out the russle is you.
Great question. I don't bow hunt either. In fact, I don't even deer hunt.

In spite of this I support this bill 100%. It's good for game management, it's good for DFW, it's good for reducing car accidents - plus, support shows that when ALL hunters, anglers and conservationists UNITE by supporting sound outdoor bills we ALL win.

There will soon be a bill that YOU want passed that makes good conservation sense and you'll need support from the angling and hunting community - so give your support now and it will be returned when YOU need it. Did you know there are anglers writing to the Gov to support this bill too? Did you know an angling organization spoke on behalf of the bill at the committee hearing? Why? UNITY.

Anyway, that's how I see it.

Ant

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.