New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went and patterned my 870 yesterday with a gun sled, no problems at all. After that without the gun sled, I fired (5) 3 inch Remington turkey loads and today Im feeling it in the shoulder:(

Already looking to replace the butt end with a Limbsaver. Any other suggestions. Been reading about a mercury tube that can either be fitted in the stock or magazine, anyone try this?

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You will never feel the recoil when your shooting at a bird.
Im sure I wont;)

I still want to further pattern it some more and try another choke without the use of the sled. Glad I didnt get a super mag or mossberg 535, I know for sure I wouldnt be using 3.5's

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Some things you can do to reduce recoil is add some weight to the gun with mercury suppressior( ballistic products.com) in the magazine tube or the stock. As stated above a good recoil pad like the ones made by limb saver. And for a modest fee have the forcing cone lengthened in the barrel. One of the biggest reasons for feeling more recoil at the bench is the fact you are in a sitting position and your body soaks up more of the guns reactionbecause of the lack of rearward movement.( standing up your shoulder moves back when the gun kicks)

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
There are many things that can help you.
Adding weight is one option.
A Knoxx buttstock supposedly works very well. Limbsaver recoil pads help.
The forcing cone option would also help. You could also get the barrel ported.

I think the easiest and most effective option would be to get the recoil pad installed and use a shooting pad on your shoulder while at the range. In the field, you'll never feel it after 1 shot.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Recoil pads and mass. I added a 5 round sleeve on the stock for ammo. It helps.

I also know that when I've trap shot, I put several extra layers of material over my shoulder. Many years ago, I was shooting this old beater with a hard butt plate in a T-shirt. I shot probably 150 rounds that day. My shoulder turned black and blue for a week, then it "drained" down my side. I looked like I took a pummeling from Mike Tyson.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mercury suppressior( ballistic products.com) in the magazine tube or the stock.

Would the above mercury suppressor in the magazine replace the plug which limits your shell capacity?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.