New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I came home from Pa. totally skunked I was really down. I never even saw a deer, but on Wed. my fate took a turn for the better. My wife was talking to a friend of ours in Pa.that we ride horses with, and told her of my depression. About an hour later, her husband called me and invited me to hunt on their property in Pa. in Lancaster Co. They have a small farm there. So off I went on Thurs. morning ( it's nice being retired ). I was told to just sit in the run in shed in the back pasture and be patient. I was told that the shots would be close, so I took my little .444 Marlin carbine. In the late afternoon the does began jumping over the fence into the pasture. Finally a buck appeared and jumped the fence into the pasture. After a few minutes in the pasture he got edgy and turned to jump back over the fence. I caught him in mid air as he cleared the fence with a spine shot. ( 65yds.). I swear I saw his legs fold up at the crack of the gun. He never moved after he hit the ground.
That little Carbine with the aimpoint scope comes up on target better than most shotguns. And the .444 rd. with a 265gr. flat point bullet is a nasty combo.
His dressed weight was 140, and he had 7 pts. with a broken brow tine.
I got the feeling that this was a one time hunt, as a payback for the many favors that I had done for our friends. At any rate, it was a memorable experience.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Nice deer. 18 more years for me and I am only 26. Can you imagine the time I will have. Again NS911, nice buck.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea I know, I'm on a roll. two 8 pointers and a 7 pointer. Now if the 10 pointer that has been staying out of bow range, gets stupid during shotgun season, I'll really be doing back flips. My slug gun is all sighted in and ready to rock and roll :D

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I need to by a place like yours.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This guy's a smart one. The don't get this big by being stipid. He has never even come close enough to the bait for a photo. The closest I've gotten to him was 75 yds., and I was riding a horse at the time. It might take the rest of the year, but I'll get him, I'll get him !!

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea, I got it from a friend that had the barrel cut and crowned from 24 " to 16.5 " ( just legal ). I added the aimpoint scope. You can shoot running targets with both eyes open. Surprisingly it is very accurate. 1 " groups at 50yds., and under 2" at 100yds. It's a perfect little brush gun, and an awesome combo for bear out to 150yds.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Nice Deer[up]

I have a Marlin .444 and I compare it to getting hit with a bulldozer blade when you look at what it does to a deer. Only drawback is after 100 yards there is to much bullet drop. But as you said an EXCELLENT short range weapon.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Nice buck..Its good to see a man enjoy his retirement as you do. Some people cant handle being retired because all they know is work. Not me, I am going to retire as early as possible and enjoy myself either hunting or fishing like you are.[up]

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I now have a new full time job :

Hunting, fishing, quad riding, sport bike riding ( yes, we have a pair of Ninja racing bikes), dirt bike riding,oh, and sometimes, I mow the lawn :D:D:D

Retirement = :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.