New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally tracked and shot a buck in the snow!!! Man was this a great hunt. I had missed a big doe on Tuesday and I'm glad I did! It snowed Wed. night into Thursday. We had about 3 inches on the ground so we decided to ride for tracks. We found a decent set that I decided to follow. Not the biggest track but we knew it was a buck. I followed this track for 4 hrs jumping the deer only once. As I followed him through a cedar swamp I caught a glimpse of him up ahead. He was heading into some open hardwoods. I quickly made my way ahead and found an opening. Wham! He went another 50 yds and was finally down! 4 1/2 hours to catch up to him. I got him dragged to a skidder road and marked it on my gps. I walked back and got an atv to pick him up. It took me almost 4 hours to get him back!This is my first tracked buck in Maine..He dressed 164lbs and had a small 8pt rack. Our group managed three 8pts, a 5pt, a 4pt and a doe. Not a bad week.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Nice Deer, I have been applying for a Maine Moose permit for the last five years, still no luck. Oh well I'll just keep giving them my $$$.

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Congrats Joe,nice deer,not real big but definately a good hunt.Good job on track hunting him[up]. What part of Maine do you go to?

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
That is an exciting way to hunt a deer for sure. That is one of the most successful ways to hunt deer in the big woods.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Great hunting! Where in Maine and was this a self guided hunt? Many guides in Maine have booths at the local hunting shows.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Way to go buddy !!!!! Has to be one of the hardest states to hunt and you guys knocked the crap out of them this year !

I posted your story and picture over on huntingnet for all the Maine hunters to see . I could not remember if you were a member there or not . You know " DLuke , Woodseye , LilJohn and all them .

Don

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Sounds like a great hunt. I like tracking, but have only been successful with pheasants.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts