New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm getting closer and closer! This hunting thing is fun :) Man, I wish I started this when I was younger!

First off, those that are thinking its too hot right now should look at the morning temps. I was COLD this morning. Low- to mid-50s. I need to bundle up some more next time.

Anyway, this morning went back to that new piece of private property - got in blind at 5:30am again (BTW: we had a beautiful clear night sky, stars were awesome to see). Oh, and my blind wasn't stolen yet [eyeroll], so I got that going for me. Took everyone's advice and left the calls home. Didn't make a sound. 6:30am had a older fawn (spots barely visible on its hind legs) and a spike (with darker brown fur, is that its winter coat?) walk right in front of my blind - not more than 15 yards away. They hung around for about 5 minutes, foraging and chasing a bird (the fawn wanted to play with a bird, bird wasn't having any of it :)) Obviously, the spike was a no-go. I passed on the fawn, even though I had a easy broadside shot; in no hurry for an EAB. So I just watched them. They glanced over at the blind a few times but didn't seem to care at all.

So, lesson learned - put the calls away in September. The difference with me getting busted on Saturday and me getting a shot on a deer this morning appears to be me calling when I shouldn't have.

I count this as a success. Last January, my first winter bow season, I didn't see a single deer. But I've now seen deer my first two days hunting this fall - my first fall bow season. I like fall season better than winter [hihi]

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
[up] [up] [up]

I agree...quieter is better unless trying to stop a deer or during the rut...JMO

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
I've called tons of deer this time of year, just need to stay away from calls that are aggressive, I used soft contact grunt and bleats, even fawn calls, deer are very vocal and make more sounds then rutting grunts and estrous calls, just do some research on deer vocalizations and you can get a better idea of what calls will work and when. Quite is better at times, but a soft bleat or grunt can turn a deer around to come look to see when nothing else does. You don't need to be loud, deer have great hearing, I've made calls that even I barely hear that had deer come, but it doesn't always work they sometimes ignore you altogether. Congrats on a great day and welcome to the addiction!!

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
If you had fun THAT IS SUCESS. Fall bow season is more comfortable and there are more deer around. Winter bow is a very tough season to start bowhunting. The deer that remain for Winter bow are super cautious, they have been hunted for four months with every type of weapon. You will have a much better chance of getting a deer in Fall Bow. Good Luck, be safe and shoot straight.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Didn't get a deer either but you wouldn't know it by this pic.....
Lucky man :) I asked my daughters if they want to come with me - no dice. They were all gung ho and went walking in the woods with me a few times. But once they got ticks on them last time they were in the woods, that was it. [eek] Now they want nothing to do with it. Oh well :)

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Let nature come to you and don't force anything. Don't force calls' shots or habitat. Observe and learn. Most of what u see in tv will only hurt you if you try to apply it. Main thing is to avoid setup a where your scent is blown toward deer and avoid your movement and stay relaxed when you get them close. Good luck!

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
Sounds like a good hunt. On the subject of grunt calls... If you're hunting bait, normally you stay quiet and let the deer come to the bait. If your hunting trails, fields, acorns, where they deer may feed around out of range or just be passing thru, you need a grunt call, even in September. It may not work, but a least you have something to try. Two years ago in September I saw a huge buck 100 yards away across a field, I made 3 soft grunts and the buck looked at me and ran directly to me, stopping at the base of my tree! I couldn't shoot straight down and he moved away on the side of the tree where I couldn't get a shot. Last year I shot a 2.5 year old buck early in the season that I grunted in thru some open oaks I was sitting in. Just a couple of examples of many I have grunted in early season. Of course during the rut I have had even greater success with the grunt call.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts