New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
Last years full moon was on the 10/19, shot a big boy on 10/28. Came into rattling and grunting.

this years full moon was on 10/9, I'm curious to see if there is any similarities their behavior at least during this early chasing phase.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Fairly old news. Charlie Alsheimer is I believe the only person who still buys and tries to sell the moon phase story. Most state wildlife biologists say it happens within a 3 week window every year.

Last years full moon was on the 10/19, shot a big boy on 10/28. Came into rattling and grunting.

this years full moon was on 10/9, I'm curious to see if there is any similarities their behavior at least during this early chasing phase.
Based on Charles Alsheimer's prediction though and the general moon phase believers, you take when the full moon happened and then add some number of days to it. So he was saying peak activity would be mid-late Nov. That wasn't the case last year. The chase was earlier as you just pointed out :)

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
THe rut is caused by the days getting shorter and the amount of light going into the deers eye.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Best indicator of the Rut by me is my neighborhood deer herd. The neighborhood is a doe hole....countless does everywhere, but no bucks at all....I have at least 20 doe that walk through my yard every day. When I see a rack in the neighborhood, I know the rut is in full swing and its time to get in the woods and hunt

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
exactly. the pineal gland which is about the size of a pea is what triggers the rut in males and females. it is a gland which is light sensitive and as the days get shorter the gland starts releasing hormones. Testosterone in males causing their necks to beef up and get horny and females go in heat

Reactions: Shoot!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Best indicator of the Rut by me is my neighborhood deer herd. The neighborhood is a doe hole....countless does everywhere, but no bucks at all....I have at least 20 doe that walk through my yard every day. When I see a rack in the neighborhood, I know the rut is in full swing and its time to get in the woods and hunt
I don't see many deer around me so instead I wait for the noise around the forums of the dead deer and the email warning drivers from FGW.

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
The RUT is caused by doe in heat. In fact the peak of the rut is defined as the majority of does in heat at that time.

While I also don't believe that the moon has much if anything to do with the rut itself there's no denying the moon affects deer movement.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
The RUT is caused by doe in heat. In fact the peak of the rut is defined as the majority of does in heat at that time.

While I also don't believe that the moon has much if anything to do with the rut itself there's no denying the moon affects deer movement.
I agree deer movement is affected by moon but not so during the rut. Bucks are gonna move to find does and does are gonna move away from bucks in till they are either to tired or ready to breed.

Shows in a recent study that logged buck harvests over 30+ years by which week the full moon fell between October 20th and November 20th, the peak of buck movement and harvest was November 7th or 8th no matter what week the full moon was in. Of course certain individual years harvests were higher on different days due to weather conditions and weekends when the most hunters are in the woods. Very interesting study to say the least

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.