1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
And the Orts kill more deer than every other predator in Long Valley :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
COYOTES ARE PLAYING A BIG VERY ROLE IN KILLING A LOT OF DEER - ITS ONLY GOING TO CONTINUE TO GET WORSE AS THE BREED - WE HAVE TO HUNT THE BALLS OF THEM !!!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
COYOTES ARE PLAYING A BIG VERY ROLE IN KILLING A LOT OF DEER - ITS ONLY GOING TO CONTINUE TO GET WORSE AS THE BREED - WE HAVE TO HUNT THE BALLS OF THEM !!!
Agreed!!

We need to extend the season until May 15th to get all new yotes before they get any experience

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Im sure they are def putting a hurting on fawns in the spring as it def seems to be seeing less and less fawns with their mothers on the cams. but seems odd to never se remains from where they take a deer down. on the carcass cams it takes a few days for them to work them over , yet there still is usually a great deal of hair , and I dont see that often

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm from Oregon and out West this has been know for years, That is why there is no closed season on them and at times the ODFW has done a bounty on them, I remember at one time getting $10 for each pair of ears you brought in. The ODFW also at times fly helo's with shotgun gunners and has Government trappers to help control the populations. Anything to save the Deer and antelope fawns.
I go out for hunting season every year and almosy every pile of scat from a yote has deer hair in it. Shoot everone you see.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Woner why maine deer numbers are low in the north country??? A couple of years ago there was 21 deer killed and partically eaten in a yarding area. The yotes pushed the herd onto a frozen beaver pond the deer fell and coyldnt get up and in a two week period they were slaughered. That amount of deer in that area of maine never rebounded.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
We need to extend the season until May 15th to get all new yotes before they get any experience
Even further would be better.[up]

·
Registered
17,902 Posts
how about a njhunter coyote contest. make it like a week long taken by any meens trapping calling........
Why? 90% of the guys bitching about the yotes don't even hunt for them. In fact if it aint yotes they are blaming EHD on poor sightings? Can we have a Mite contest also;)

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
I didn't read that story in the link but I think you will see great varriation in predation rates depending on location and other food sources available to them. Penn State did a fawn mortality study about 8-10 years ago that had a predation component to it. They found just the opposite, bears and bobcats accounted for a much higher percentage of predation mortality than coyotes did. Coyotes in many areas are poor predators that are more inclined to mouse like a fox than chase larger prey. They are prone to taking skunks (about the only thing I know of that seeks out and eats a skunk). I know they can and will take deer but in areas where they are taking deer on a regular basis I would be interested to see the DNA of the yotes in that location. There have been some interesting studies on DNA of the eastern coyote, in some areas they show a pretty high percentage of wolf, some areas more domestic dog, etc.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
They are prone to taking skunks (about the only think I know of that seeks out and eats a skunk).
I've heard foxes will eat skunks, that's why they stink so bad sometimes. I would like to put the hammer down on those coyotes more so for the sake of rabbits, and quail populations.

·
Registered
17,902 Posts
I would like to put the hammer down on those coyotes more so for the sake of rabbits, and quail populations.
Quail & rabbit decline is due to yotes???[wallmad]

So how have you done so far?

·
Banned
1,518 Posts
It's called mother nature... I find it very ironic and hypocritical that the majority of the people on this site will state that we need to kill every coyote and fox that we see because they kill deer and turkey,yet they will give a thumbs up and an atta boy when someone kills a fawn, (mainly just to get their EAB tag) a Jake, or a pregnant doe.

·
Registered
17,902 Posts
Thats because they have put human emotions on yotes. Some on this site have talked about toutering these animals to get back at them for eating deer.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Kill them all, God forbid we have a balanced ecosystem with a predator-prey base [confusedagain]

Coyotes are as much a function of a properly balanced ecosystem as any other animals, why the hate and need to kill them all? I've seen yotes in my zone for decades, yet our deer herd in on the upswing big time. We read on this site every day how the antis have no clue about Mother Nature yet many here are guilty of the very same thing....

Nothing wrong with predator hunting or trapping, but there is no need to wipe them out. That has only ever led to bad things when bounties have been placed on predators and led to imbalanced ecosystems and it's always due to unfounded fears about those predators. We all serve a role, coyotes included.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Quail & rabbit decline is due to yotes???

So how have you done so far?
Them and foxes asshole, who the fuck is talking to you anyway.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
some of you guys hunt in areas, where you have high density. hence , no public access and low hunting pressure . than you will have a lot of deer and won't have a coyote problem. the big woods up here in sussex. every year it seems that we see less and less deer. we don't have the high deer desity like central jersey. the yotes and the bears are knocking the crap out of the deer population up here. even the amount of road kill take its toll. the state should open a earlier and longer bear season. also a open season on yotes all year.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts