New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found when you do a lot of shootin with the Stryker, you find that the crankin' gets old real quick. What I have figured out is if you put a 1/4 inch allen bit in a cordless drill you can save on a whole lotta cranking time. I used a 19.2 volt drill, and it had no problem sending the string grabber down and hit the reverse on the drill and bring it all the way back with no problem. I stop it just before the end plus I use the drill's clutch just in case.

·
Registered
17,068 Posts
great idea when your target shooting
Does sound like a great idea. [cool] That ratchet system does take a bit longer than other cocking methods on other crossbows.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its 80 cranks without the drill. 40 down and 40 back. You will appreciate this drill method

·
Registered
928 Posts
i saw someone use a cordless drill with the ten point system. it looks like it works great for practicing.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Give it a try, i Krazy glued the allen bit in the magnetic bit holder and put it in my "bow tackle box". of course no good for hunting, but priceless for target shootin

·
Registered
441 Posts
excal, how'd you like shootin your stryker?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
very nice..those bolts blaze through the air. it is a little heavy but balanced nice. the crankin got old real quick (80) cranks per shot...that's the only thing i found that i didn't like..but resolved with my craftsman cordless drill...luckily i had it in my truck with the bits....makes shootin soooo much better...

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That ratchet system does take a bit longer than other cocking methods on other crossbows.
It has to be like that probably due to it having a bicycle type chain that is internal, so you can't pull the string back by hand....very nice anti-dry fire sensor built in also

·
Registered
17,068 Posts
It has to be like that probably due to it having a bicycle type chain that is internal, so you can't pull the string back by hand....very nice anti-dry fire sensor built in also
Yes, exactly!! ;)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you can probably guarantee one thing about the Stryker's system is an even pull back of the string for more accurate shots

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
found when you do a lot of shootin with the Stryker, you find that the crankin' gets old real quick. What I have figured out is if you put a 1/4 inch allen bit in a cordless drill you can save
Curious, would it be legal to do while hunting?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i wouldn't even if it was, the drill is too loud...it doesn't make it much faster, mostly easier

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BT these are the only requirements I could find:

N.J.A.C. 7:25-5.24 specifies authorized equipment and restrictions applicable to
hunting using bow and arrow. The Council is proposing to expand the definition of
“bow” by removing the prohibition on all draw locking and draw holding devices
and by including crossbows and is proposing a definition of “crossbows” to specify
the required size and components of an allowed crossbow. Crossbows legal for use in
New Jersey shall have a stock length of at least 25 inches, and a minimum draw pull
weight of 75 pounds; also, crossbows shall be uncocked whenever in or upon a motor
vehicle.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
i wouldn't even if it was, the drill is too loud...it doesn't make it much faster, mostly easier
But being honest, the majority of XBOW users will "cock" it at the car or other "convenient" place. So noise wouldn't matter.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
But being honest, the majority of XBOW users will "cock" it at the car or other "convenient" place. So noise wouldn't matter.
Oh ok, then I would see no legal problem

·
Registered
327 Posts
Pretty neat idea!

I suppose if I still hunt to or from my stand then it would be cocked, but I won't be pulling a cocked crossbow up my tree or walk in the dark with it that way.

IMO, I don't want the string or cables to get damaged, and under stress they would be more likely to be damaged when contacting thorns, briars, or bark on a tree.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I only use that method when target shooting. They give you a crank handle and CLEARLY show you how to use it in the instructions. The Stryker can't be drawn back or let down by hand. All has to be done my crankin'

·
Registered
327 Posts
I too have a Stryker, and I will crank it when in my treestand since when being pulled up in darkness I can't guarantee the the cables or string won't hit the tree or branches.
An un-cocked crossbow string/cable is much less prone to abrasion than one that is highly stressed.
That was my only point...in response to this statement: "...the majority of XBOW users will "cock" it at the car or other "convenient" place...."

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
I will cock mine on ground and hoist up into stand. Arrow doesnt go on until Im sitting in the stand. I dont think it's safe to cock while in the stand. When Im done hunting, just ooposite. Arrow off, lower to ground, when on ground, uncock with rope aid. Very safe.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts