New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the captain should have waited till this morning or till we got down there to make the call. Heck I've fished plenty of times in 3-5 and that was offshore in the winter, 3-5 in this warm weather is cake. Oh well, back to the beer and Venison sausage. Always next time.

COASTAL WATERS FORECAST
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE UPTON NY
1100 AM EDT SUN OCT 23 2005

MONTAUK POINT NEW YORK TO SANDY HOOK NEW JERSEY OUT 20 NM OFFSHORE
INCLUDING LONG ISLAND SOUND AND NEW YORK HARBOR

ANZ338-240215-
/X.CON.KOKX.SC.Y.0013.000000T0000Z-051023T2200Z/
NEW YORK HARBOR-
1100 AM EDT SUN OCT 23 2005

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EDT THIS
AFTERNOON

THIS AFTERNOON
W WINDS 10 TO 15 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 KT. WAVES
1 TO 2 FT.

TONIGHT
NW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT...DECREASING TO 5 TO 10 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT.
WAVES 1 TO 2 FT IN THE EVENING...SUBSIDING TO 1 FT OR LESS.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
to be honest with you, If I were a captain I would rather call off a trip that turned out the water was ok than take the chance have things turn bad and possibly risk peoples lives.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
to be honest with you, If I were a captain I would rather call off a trip that turned out the water was ok than take the chance have things turn bad and possibly risk peoples lives.
I'm with you.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand only the Captain knows how his vessel handles. What I was saying is that he could have waited to see for sure what the weather would bring. I've had plenty of reserved trips cancelled at dockside an hour before sailing time. Mother nature changes min. by min. I'm just saying he could have waited till morning. Life is full of disappointments, and this just happened to be one of them.

Ps it's like saying it might be windy tommorrow so I won't get ready for hunting, I would rather get ready and then in the morning go back to sleep than waist a hunt because I didn't load the truck the night before.

Ps I have great respect for mother nature and the sea. Been out and caught in stuff when 2 radios, radar and the steering went out, in 30 degree temps, 10' seas and couldn't put in a mayday, Had to jury rig a tiller, a 2 hour ride turned into 9 hours with almost a ton of Codfish. Yea been there done that. all I was saying is that he could have waited. and with a west wind he could have ducked into and fished the Staten Island side if worse came to worse.

sorry for the ranting.:)

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Hi JerseyHunter and all those involved on the striper trip. I got down to the marina around 12:30pm. Only three party boats went for the morning trip, Sea Hunter, Teal and Fisherman. They all had around 6 to 8 customers. They all stay in for the afternoon Trip.

Captain John met me down there at 2;00pm and I got all the checks back. Conditions were attrocious for fishing, he called it right. There was no way that he could of waited to make the call in the morning. How was I supposed to get a hold of everyone if he called it off this morning. I ended up adding extra lines on my boat today. We had rollers inside the Marina, and last night they lost a sail boat (sunk) I strongly agree with him in canceling the trip, us old salts can handle seas likes this, but anybody that are not use to this conditions would of had a terrible trip. I saw 3 slot fish on the fisherman being fillet and 4 big blues. All the boats did lousy today.

Now for the checks. This are the checks that I have been authorized to rip up.

Drome
JRHUNT
35 WHELAN
D BUCK
WOJTOWICZA
JERSEY JIM
TOMMY
TRIPLEPLAY
I just rip them up.

Please any one else that wants their checks rip up please let me know. It would make it easier for me.

Thank you Tony

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I wasn't going but in my opinion the captain did a good thing. He let everyone know in advance and they were able to make plans for other things today.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
AP 119 your check has been ripped.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can rip mine. thought I posted it already. Ps thank you for the time invested in this. Hopefully we'll get another chance.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
El jefe I went on the Sea Hunters site and they still had their fluke schedule there. other wise I would have taken the ride.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
JerseyHunter and Dragthor both of your checks have been ripped. Thank You

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
OK IMB 21 disregard the post under your nic. Your check has been ripped up. Thank you for your participation of the striper trip. Tony

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
We will plan a trip for next year. We will book it for last week of April or first week of May.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
STRIPPER? i thought i was missing a hell of a trip
lmao! ill probably be able to go to it then because my birthday is may 24th so they will probably let me go for my birthday...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts