New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They must have turned off or the bunker must have come in because we went out last night and got skunked. 8 guys got nothing... we had a few bites by they short stopped on the clams we were using... they just took the guts. We heard of two fish being caught the whole night.

But we still had a good time... I have a slight hangover to prove it.:D

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
No more beer for you! you fish 4 hours!

Where did the boat fish? I heard of fish being caught at romer...

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just out of keyport. Don't know the exact coordinates but about half way to staten island along the channel. There was a fleet of boats there... and the fish were there, they just wouldn't bite.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
my buddy just called me ...he banged 'em pretty good today...no slots....hads to throw back a 26 and a 27 pounder

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Was outhere Monday and Tuesday, fished the last two hours of the out going tide in the morning and it was a steady pick, limited out on slots, the rest were up to 32" they are hitting good right off the nude beach about one to two miles off. On Tuesday was the same fiasco, coming in I saw the Hyper Striper all by it self between the visual markers and the rip, I circle around him and North of his boat I got some real good readings, we hooked up to a 35-/2" and threw back about four fish over 31 till we ran out of clams. On Monday after the bite die down we trawl from Roman Shoals to the old Orchard, i saw the fleet you were talking about and we did not get a single hit. Came back in after the winds pick up and it got nasty on the bay, bumpy ride going back to the Highlands.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Caught my first saltwater striper Tues night. 27" on clams. Flynns knoll. We moved to Rommers (sp?) shoal and only caught 3 bluefish and a huge black fish. They were the only fish caught out of 4 of us. Saw some other boats bring in about a half dozen shorts nearby on Rommers.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
My buddies got out Wednesday evening/night - Fished the Navesink River and Sandy Hook/Raritan Bay areas -Fish were not cooperating [sad], but they managed to pick off a few fish on clams. [up]

Note: These friends of mine fish almost every night of the week in the areas mentioned above, and clam there regularly during the "Seasonal" periods, and some are regular Commercial Clammers working for JT White Clam Co....

If there are any Stripers or Weakfish to be caught, these guys would have caught them, but things have been tough the past week most likely because of the heavy winds and fluctuations in temperature.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
That is the main reason they are hitting them real good off the nude beach. Both days that i was out there one clam boat was working right in the middle of the fleet of boats that built up around the clammer. It turns up the bottom and atracts the fish to the area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts