New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the strangest animal you have caught or ran into while hunting?
Mine I think would be the Great Blue Huron I ran into in the woods while deer hunting.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Had a Snowy Owl kill a red squirrel right in front of me a few years ago. It was the last day of shotgun season and I was going to blow the little beast to kingdon come anyway.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That would have cool to see.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
A white goat walked right up under my stand. And one other time I had a cow that escaped from a nearby farm walk past my stand.

But the strangest thing I ever saw in the woods was in Mendham I was hunting some private property and it was backing up to someone elses property and I could see into there yard and there was 2 naked woman in the Hot Tub man was that one day I did not put the binaculars down for a second.[up][up]:p

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I talk about people it was the stoned guy in the middle Whittingham WMA. Or the dead guy I thought I found at Flatbrook WMA. He was bow hunting wearing black jeans and the silver studded belt. He decided to take a nap and laid face down on the ground.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
When I was in Kentucky hunting whitetails, I saw what looked like a cat climbing trees, I asked the outfitter what it was, and they were Fox Squirrels. Them bad boys are HUGE!!!

B

·
0 Posts
It was in New Brunswick, Canada. I just took my 1st black bear with the bow, walked out to the logging road to wait for my outfitter, saw this huge thing running towards me on the side of the road, it was a Jack Rabbit, never knew they got so big

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
In Morris township I had a Rabbi come walking past my tree through the woods.He must have had a 6th sense because all of a sudden he froze and then bolted out of sight.It was so bizarre.Thats what I get for hunting next to the Rabbinical College of America. ;)

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
I watched a fox torture a Chipmunk for more than an hour. He would grad the chipmunk in his mouth and tossit about 10 feet.Then let it run, catch it again and toss it. I never saw him eat the thing.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
mrs john f kennedy on horse back i used to hunt a couple houses down from her in peapack zone 9

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
I made the mistake of blundering between a cow Moose and her calf in Maine during a bear hunt. She made some awful noises at me, but that god she didn't charge. My rifle was empty ( after shooting hrs. )but my hand had a tight grip on my S&W .44.
The same week my wife had a bull Moose come at her, snorting and pawing the ground. Probably cause the stupid dog went after it. She said she pointed her pepper spray at it, and she swears he just smiled at her and walked off. The next year she had her permit to carry :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mine was a bunch of people running through hacklebarney st. park bangin pots and pans. They were probably antis but they kicked up like 20 deer to me and the person i was hunting with.

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
Dirtbikes going past my stand,firetrucks going through the woods past my stand,a teenager all cranked up wandering around in predawn darkness enroute to my stand.
Porcipine in PA one time was cool and a Bobcat in Kentucky...

·
Registered
10 Posts
bobcat walked into about 20 yards of my stand one evening pretty cool little cat we have a family of them where I hunt every now and then you see one

oh you can also hear the wolves over at the Lakota Wolf Preserve howling in the morning its pretty cool

·
Registered
67 Posts
njhunter actually i missed (they were running fast) and my buddy hit one but it ran to some other guy and he shot it. So it was his deer.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
you do mean the anti's right or sorry i get it the deer wher running to fast lol!!

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
hunted my former brother-in-law's property in Butler Cty. Alabama a few years ago.

Shot 2 deer off a stand just off a green field in about 3 1/2 days of hunting. Figured I'd try one more time, heard what I thought was a deer coming through the brush..and saw my first--and only--armadillo.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
A black squirel in NY state. They are very rare and very aggressive. Towards other squirles. If they mate with a grey the black's genes domminate. There was a university doing a study on them.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts