New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I decided to go wood chuck hunting as I saw a dead one on the road yesterday so I figured the warm weather has them out. I went across the river to Lehigh County to a spot not too far from Cabellas. While stalking a wood line I jumped an animal that I first though was a deer. Maybe it was but it was no white tail. It had a red russet color, redder than a white tails's summer coat, very compact body and it moved fast when it spotted me. More like a hopping motion than a run and it appeared to be confused about which way to run but once it made up its mind it moved fast. The only thing I ever saw move like this was an antelope. About thirty minutes later who shows up but a Pa. Conservation officer (for once there was one around when you wanted one) and I told him what I saw and he laughed but said there was a loose wallaby report about a month ago from nearby Northampton County and the Lehigh Trexlar Game Preserve was only a couple miles away. I now wonder if I could have shot the thing, whatever it was, because Pa. will let you kill invasive species (wild pigs, mute swans) any time. Does anyone know if hunters can shoot escaped critters here in Jersey? Anyone know about what this might have been? Thanks

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought about popping it but I was so startled I reached for my binoculars rather than my rifle. Also this thing was pretty big and what I had was a .17 rim fire and this thing looked like it was well over 100 lbs. I looked up "wallabies" and
it looked bigger than a wallaby , more like its cousin the red kangaroo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts