New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried or know someone that tried these lures,and if so how do they work? Just curious

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
My buddies and I fish the Wildeye Storm shads from Ugly Stick medium-light trout rods matched with Penn reels - Line of choice is Power Proline 20# test (it actually has the diameter of 6# test).

Tie a 150# black barrel swivel to your main line, then attach a 3 - 4 foot length of 40#-50# test mono leader to the barrel swivel and then to the Wildeye Storm Shad.

Bunker color pattern in 5" -6" length lure is highly recommended for Striper fishing - they come five (5) to a pack, so make sure you have a few packs with you. You can get away with using one a few times on the Stripers, but the Bluefish usually damage them and render them useless on the first bite/hook up.

Like was mentioned in the above posts, they are killer for Stripers and those pesky Bluefish. Large Fluke will also come up to slam them, also.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I like to anchor a boat about 50 ft. up current from a "rip line" in the river, cast the Storm Shad at either side of the rip line, and let it "walk" across the entire width of the rip line while twitching it every once in a while.

The Stripers go absolutely nuts over these lures when fished like that in the Shrewsbury and Navesink Rivers, and in the Shrewsbury and Rumson Reaches leading out to Sandy Hook Bay. When the fish are there, it doesn't take long to hook up, and catches of 30 - 90 fish in a few hours (yeah, that's right - per person !!!) - are not uncommon on the incoming &/or outgoing tides.

I'm sure that if you fished these lures in the Delaware River in the same manner that I mention above, and rig them like I state in my previous post, above, you'll have a blast with them.

A little trick I use sometimes when the Stripers are being a little shy/picky is to buy a small plastic bottle of Bunker Oil and give the Storm Shad a small squirt of it on it. Once the bite is on, experiment with and without the bunker oil to see which is more effective.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts