Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Petition for what? To eradicate swans?

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
Why would we want to eliminate the swans, the geese are a bigger pain in the butt than swans. Is there something about the swans I am not aware of other then they chase the geese.

Reactions: Gruntinbuck

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
At what point do your posts become spam? One post would be sufficient. [confusedagain]

·
Registered
852 Posts
No, their isn't enough geese,there can never be enough.:ko: That's as bad as saying theirs too many deer. Mute swan are a non native species unlike tundra swans. They eat similar to a snow goose but on water. They rig vegetation out from the root.

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
Mute Swans are non-native. Every one of them should be killed.
The swans run off the holdover geese that pollute small lakes. Some organizations spend thousands to try to control the geese and swans are just one way to keep them out of specific areas without doing a lot of damage to the geese population.

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
They also run off ducks as well, they are very aggressive. A gift from great Briton, and yes they should be wiped out.

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
They also run off ducks as well, they are very aggressive. A gift from great Briton, and yes they should be wiped out.
The areas they normally put the swans in are high human contact areas and ducks are not normally in those areas in any numbers.

·
Registered
852 Posts
You do realize mute swan migrate just like all ducks. They don't just stay in one spot. I don't know where your info is coming from but it's wrong. They are invasive not native. Tundra swan are native. There is a difference. The state is given permits yearly from the Feds and they choose to either use them theirselves or eat them because they are afraid people can't tell the difference between the two. They are trash birds just like crows. Chris

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
I know a spot that's open to water fowl hunting and there are hundreds of mute swans, and very few ducks and almost no geese, I've seen the swans take apart mallard nests, but I do wonder what size shot you would need on a bird that big!

·
Registered
324 Posts
The areas they normally put the swans in are high human contact areas and ducks are not normally in those areas in any numbers.
bushden, the single greatest issue with mute swans isn't that they run off the ducks, or kill goslings. It is that they are basically an aquatic cow. Mute swans primarily eat submerged aquatic vegetation (SAV), which is an important food source for native waterfowl. swans tend to congregate in areas with the most sav available...areas where native waterfowl congregate. Mute swans stay year round so everyday they are eating sav that could go to native ducks and geese in the fall and spring during migration and wintering. Most of the swans you see in little ponds are not pinioned so they can fly around, which they do quite often to the areas of higher sav concentration.

·
Registered
324 Posts
You do realize mute swan migrate just like all ducks. They don't just stay in one spot. I don't know where your info is coming from but it's wrong. They are invasive not native. Tundra swan are native. There is a difference. The state is given permits yearly from the Feds and they choose to either use them theirselves or eat them because they are afraid people can't tell the difference between the two. They are trash birds just like crows. Chris
The feds don't issue the state permits for mute swans. The usfws put management of mute swans entirely back into the states hands a few years ago since they are not a native migratory waterfowl to north america. They can't just open a season on mute swans because swans are protected by statute.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
You can kill em all year round in pa.

id like to see swan vs .223 vmax. I would hope it would look like putting an m80 inside a goose down pillow.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Geese also run off ducks and kill their young.kne of the reasons for a lower duck population on he interior rivers in this state

1 - 20 of 24 Posts