New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard of this before but never expected it to happen. I shot a large 10+ buck on 11-9-2013. approx 4:30PM in Jackson. I waited 2 hrs and determined a blood line. At this point I backed out plenty of blood lung and liver... Oh also a piece of rib 3" long. This deer was hit good and I wanted to wait til morning. As i backed at at 10:30pm I heard quads very close slowly and quietly pushing down the trail behind me near deers direction. I didn't think much of it but did wonder why they were back there so late.
The next morning at first light I continued on a good trail. to a large 2' x 2' bed full of blood. No other blood to follow and no deer. I had the dog trackers come in and he tracked perfectly to this spot. The deer either flew away or was picked up by those quads. I should have know when those quads started moving that something was up. My mistake for sure.

If anyone knows of a deer taken on or after this date in the Jackson area; Please contact me or the game warden. It was what appeared to be a non typical on the left side but a nice large body. All others be weary of this situation. I'm pretty sure this deer landed right under someones tree stand. Ran approx 250yrds.

·
Registered
13,234 Posts
That is why hunting is not a brotherhood. One hunter is always out to screw another hunter over!![down]
Im not sure they guys he is talking about are hunters.

I would report it to the CO, do you know who guys on the quads are or have you tried to identify them? Was this private or public land?

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Never know, see any other tree stands along the blood trail. Maybe the guy also shot the wounded buck.

·
Registered
15,843 Posts
It happened to me once, but it was in the time I gave the deer to die and finding a big puddle of blood after tracking it a ways. It was near an access road to another property. I saw headlights over there, but never gave deer thieves a thought. You could see where the vehicle was backed up near the puddle and where the deer was dragged to it. It really pissed me off that someone would do this. It was a very nice buck I shot from the ground. I asked around about it, but like everything else nobody knew anything. Since that episode, depending on the borders, I don't give the deer as much time and never leave them overnight unless I bump them. Hope you find some closure to who might have taken it.

·
Registered
10,374 Posts
Yeah no kidding.. Last light is like 5:10pm. We're missing three hours of this story.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Maybe they thought someone wasn't coming for it,a big deer like that would be hard for someone to just leave in the woods,just another thought

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I think he meant to put a comma after "I backed out". He probably heard the quads around 10:30pm, maybe he was hunting in his back yard or something so that's how he heard the atvs

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Happened to me once before. Shot the buck just before dark, waited and found my arrow and a good blood trail. Started looking, but it quickly became darker. My flashlight ended up dying and I decided I would just come back in the morning since I couldn't see. Came back at first light, tracked the blood trail and there was my deer or should I say gut pile.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts