New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard about plans of conducting a Deer Drive @Stokes State Forest?

Anyone interested in making plans for one? I am available all day tomorrow 12/11 and Saturday 12/13 in the morning.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Can push the thickets in walpack.

·
Registered
12,710 Posts
Wish I could still do drives. Lots of fun. Try just going for a ride and see if you find a group to join. I met a lot of my hunting buddies like that.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Key to stokes is pushing the ledges where the mountain side is a long vertical drop. They run the ridge in a straight line following each other.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
Last time I hunted Stokes(years ago) there were so many hunters it looked just like a drive. They had this buck cornered in a semi circle, it made it past them and I watched as I was on road, It past me crossed the road and ran into a sanctuary and stopped 40 yds just looking at me. They know where to go. Couldn't shoot as it coming towards me because of all the hunters behind it. That was the last time I hunted it.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Last time I hunted Stokes(years ago) there were so many hunters it looked just like a drive. They had this buck cornered in a semi circle, it made it past them and I watched as I was on road, It past me crossed the road and ran into a sanctuary and stopped 40 yds just looking at me. They know where to go. Couldn't shoot as it coming towards me because of all the hunters behind it. That was the last time I hunted it.
Probably a good idea.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Not nearly as many guys as past years.

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
My dad tells of a story where he practically had to belly crawl out of stokes 25 yrs ago. Buckshot was raining down on the hood of the truck as he was pulling out.
Never went back.

Back to driving stokes. Someone posted yesterday that they ran into a hunter that said they drove it purring muzzy and shot 26 does and 2 bucks. I dont remember who said it though.

·
Registered
7,763 Posts
My friend hunts with that group that slaughtered the deer last week during the Muzzleloader season. But this year he didn't hunt with them cause of work and he is disgusted with them......also it was 27 does!!! They aren't hunters they are killers

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
My dad tells of a story where he practically had to belly crawl out of stokes 25 yrs ago. Buckshot was raining down on the hood of the truck as he was pulling out.
Never went back.

Back to driving stokes. Someone posted yesterday that they ran into a hunter that said they drove it purring muzzy and shot 26 does and 2 bucks. I don't remember who said it though.
well I can believe the part about your father ..I know I hunted there 30something years ago and it was even hard to find a place to park on the mountain just crazy the deer did not stand a chance but you could not kill a doe back then during six day there was a doe day and that was it one day .... The part about some guys shooting 26 does driving with muzzys there I don't believe

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I hunted stokes for the past 40+ years. I live there. Long ago there were lots and lots of hunters. There were also lots deer. A black bear or two were always killed at the Worthington's dump by Lk. Owassa. (There was a legal season) Opening day buck season at 7:00 am was like the grand finally at 4th of july fireworks. Cars were backed up at Jumboland on 206 to check them in.
No more. Very few hunters. Lots less deer. Can hear distant shots from Bear Swamp, very quiet in Stokes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts