New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine has a small pond loaded with bass sunnies and crappies. I was thinking of buying a few big trout (20 at max) to put in there in the late fall and then catch them through the ice. Is there any negative effects the trout will have on the other fish? i dont think so but figure id ask before a slaughter occurs under the ice[rofl]

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
no one knows?????

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I don't know this as fact, but i've talked to some people about it and this is what they had to say: there has to be a dominant fish, whether it be the trout or the bass and that means that they will attack and kill the other fish to show their dominance. I would do as much research on it to be positive before you do anything. However, at the same time I have talked to guys who trout fish the same pond where they catch bass, so right there that contradicts the above statement I just made. But that's why I gave the disclaimer. [hihi]

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
A buddy of mine has a small pond loaded with bass sunnies and crappies.
Unless the pond is extremely deep, if there are crappies and bass living in it, there is very little chance a trout would survive very long. While you might get them to stay alive for a short time, unless they are able to sustain themselves naturally, I am not sure how much it would be "fishing" and would be a lot more just "catchin".

Even in the winter there are still are a lot of places in this state you can go out and "fish" for trout without going to all of that trouble to put them in a small pond where they will all die pretty quickly if you don't catch them.

JC

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Sticky, Lake Aeroflex has Bass, Pickeral, Trout and Salmon. It may work on smaller ponds, but on large lakes, I'm not sure if it fully applies.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
JC makes a good point there. The state throws so many trout in the lakes, especially for winter stocking, the time and effort spent in stocking the pond might not be worth the reward.

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
I have talked to guys who trout fish the same pond where they catch bass
The ability to hold both fish is generally dependent on the lake having a thermocline where essentially the water separates into two different biospheres.

Most small "ponds" can not sustain both.

JC

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Sticky, Lake Aeroflex has Bass, Pickeral, Trout and Salmon. It may work on smaller ponds, but on large lakes, I'm not sure if it fully applies.
That's why I gave my disclaimer that I didn't know it as fact, just what I heard from some guys. LOL

·
Registered
511 Posts
contact Muskey trout hatchy. they are very helpful we use the to stock our lake. The # is in the game laws book

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
That's why I gave my disclaimer that I didn't know it as fact, just what I heard from some guys. LOL
No man, I wasnt bashing you. I was just giving an example of a lake which has all those predatory fish in it. JC went further to explain the thermocline it the lakes, and now it makes sence on why these species can cohabitate.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i know a guy in upstate new york that has about the same size pond with bass and sunnies in it. He puts the trout in (again only like 20 good size ones) in late fall when the water hits a certain temp. Then he has a family ice fishing contest. Pretty cool idea i thought. He says he never had a problem but since its not my pond i was checking. I know tons of places that have both bass and trout in them you guys mentioned a bunch but also oquatunk in stokes. I ice fish there and its every other flag up you have either a bass pickeral or trout. I know these fish wouldnt live there permanently just thought of ice fishing.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
theres a spring that feeds it. I dont know the current water temp but def to warm to sustain trout right now and its in sussex county and when its full its 18 feet deep in the middle and id say bout an acre.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
No man, I wasnt bashing you. I was just giving an example of a lake which has all those predatory fish in it. JC went further to explain the thermocline it the lakes, and now it makes sence on why these species can cohabitate.
I know and I gotcha, i'm glad other people chimed in and were able to help out. [up][up] Best thing about this site is guys helping each other!!

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
Sussex should be good to go. Stock around Thanksgiving and then wait. R.I wait until Christmas to stock salmon so the otters don't get em first:D
troutathon[up]

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i have to do more reasearch, like some of you mentioned. I wont bug out if they die or whatever i just dont want some wierd stuff to happen and all the fish eat eachother or something. never know when you play with isolated ecosystems when you introduce something that has never been there what will happen. And trust me id never hear the end of it haah

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
The only problem with this thread is I am sweating my a$$ off right now and all I can think about is Ice Fishing.[cry][cry][cry]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts