New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since it is so wet and I'm hunting a swamp I figured to try a still hunt today. I was no sooner in the woods when I see a doe about 70 yards away. I start moving real slow in her direction and see she is with 3 other does all smaller than her. She is a big one at lest 160 lbs.. I'm still moving in figuring WTF I'm not gonna shoot but lets see how close I can get. I got to the big oak tree I was using to shade myself from the does and stopped, got out the range finder to see 35 yards. I had a good quartering away shot on one of the smaller does but the big mama had her ass to me. I waited and watched for a while and they moved away toward the creek, into the wind. Once they were out of sight I walked in the opposite direction out of that woodlot into a strip that boarders the creek and some real thick stuff. I went about 300 yards and noticed movement on the other side of the creek. Sure enough 3 more deer, all bedded down. They were all bald so I kept moving toward a swampy bedding area. I walked over a mound after checking in every direction because I had to expose myself to do it thinking all clear. I no sooner get over the mound when I see tails. They come out right in front of me, less than 30 yards away, all does again. From there I walked the rest of the property and didn't see any more deer. I did find that 90% of my property is under water now, including all my stand locations. I have two other spots I can sit the rest of the week but they are bow only and I didn't see may bucks sitting there during bow. It was nice getting up close and personal with a bunch of different groups of does with the gun, but it would have even been better if a buck had shown.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.