New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to waterfowl hunting. I went to get another box of steel shot and the guy asked me what choke i have and I have a full choke on my gun. He informed me that steel shot should not be used cause it cant compress at the end of the barrel, which may cause the barrel end to blow out.
Can someone here shed some light to my situation, I have shot 25 shells thru it and everything seems to be fine.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
You need to find a new gun shop. The guy has no idea what he's talking about. As log as your barrel and choke is rated for steel shot it will shoot fine, although a full choke may not be best patterning with steel shot.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I agree with BT & 243. I would add that pellet size is also a factor. Big pellets pushed through a tight choke have a tendancy to bouce off each other.

I full non toxic shot rated choke is ok with #4 or #6 shot. Once you start shooting BB's you run into a problem.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Does your barrel have a fixed full choke or a screw-in full choke? If it's the latter, I would tend to agree w/the guy and not take a chance with it. I would tend to use a modified choke with steel shot.

David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No its a fixed full choke, no screw in, Its a remington 870 wingmaster pump 30'' barrel full choke. It might be a 28'' barrel Its not here in front of me to check.
I also have been shooting slugs during deer season for the last couple yrs. Is this gonna damage the gun?

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I also have been shooting slugs during deer season for the last couple yrs. Is this gonna damage the gun?
Slugs thru a full ckoke????? I never heard of someone doing that.

I have an Ithica single shot 20ga with a mod that shoots Brenekes very accuratly to 50yds. There have been no problems, but a full choke may be another story.

If you have an 870 why not invest in a slug barrel?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I have heard of people haveing problems shooting steel shot out of older barrels.
If its working and patterning good use it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have an older Browning Belgium A-5, and have a full choke barrel. I watched a hunter with the same gun put steel shot through it and blow the end off. I asked a rep from Browning about this, and he said that those older barrels are made of a softer material than the metal used for steel shot. He said sometimes you can get away with shooting steel forever,and sometimes one or two shells will blow out a barrel. I now shoot Bismouth shells through my old Browning, and they pattern very nice for waterfowl. Next year, I'm going to spend $300 and buy a replacement barrel that comes with fiber-optic sights and adjustable chokes. The year after that, I'll buy a slug barrel for it. Then, I'll never need another gun. :D And I'd NEVER shoot slugs out of a full-choke, unrifled barrel. NEVER

1 - 10 of 10 Posts